Sign in to follow this  
mihalich

Correct Direct To/Departure Behavior

Hi Dave,

I want to verify if this direct to behavior is correct.  FYI, I went through the manual about this feature so i understood how it's supposed to work, and how to make it do what you want before i tried this.

So basically, my flight plan was:  KJFK (Runway 22R departure) NEION J223 CORDS ULW V31 GIBBE (Approach to runway 22 via vectors to KECKE) KROC.

So first things first.  Neither flight aware (for the flight i was duplicating) nor sim brief assign a SID out of JFK.  I assume that's cuz ATC gives vectors out of the vicinity.  So i entered the flight plan as stated above according to sim brief, and that all went in fine.  When i went to file the plan, p2a gave me a SID anyway.  (DEEZ5 to HEERO).  Even if i unchecked the 'ATC assigns SIDS' option in the settings it still did that.  There was no way to for me not to get a SID in the flight plan out of jfk when clicking file flight plan.  So first question, is this correct behavior that you'd expect?  

So, i figured, ok, no big deal, p2a will give me vectors after takeoff (which it did), and then i would request a direct to NEION and bypass the SID, no big deal.  So after i got out of the NYC area, I went to the direct to window and selected NEION, and clicked the load button.  That changed the route to go to NEION, which was expected.  I then requested direct to via say it +, and got cleared to NEION.  All is good here.

The problem now is that after i loaded in the direct to, the flight plan became unfiled (the green border around file went away) and the TOD calculation in the waypoint list, and the pin on the route in the map window both got removed and are no longer in the list.  Also, because KROC has no STARs, and the TOD waypoint is gone, it no longer gives me descent instructions or approach vectors to KECKE..

The second question is, does this direct to thing sound like a bug?.  I would think direct to would just remove the way points we're bypassing in the list, and keep everything else the same. 

Thanks for the help with this.

Joe

Edited by mihalich

7 hours ago, mihalich said:

So after i got out of the NYC area, I went to the direct to window and selected NEION, and clicked the load button.  That changed the route to go to NEION, which was expected.  I then requested direct to via say it +, and got cleared to NEION.  All is good here.

I think you should be able to do all that by simply requesting direct to NEION, and with P2A not actually "changing" the flight plan, just making NEION the current waypoint.  (Please confirm, Dave).

In my cockpit I have to rely solely on the voice control (I do have a "say it" button too, till I know it all better), and this should be all you need. Going back to the P2A main screen to make changes is a no-no for me. I'd have to pause the sim (ugh!) and climb out of the cockpit to go to the networked computer outside.

I'll try a Direct To next time I get time to have a proper flight!

Pete

Edited by Pete Dowson

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

I just tried repeating the scenario and here's what I got.

I was able to File the flight plan without a SID.  I did change the Runway to 22R so I would get the same results when getting the SID, but filing without the SID did work.

I then added the DEEZZ5 SID with the HEERO transition and filed again.

After takeoff, I requested a DirectTo NEION and it was granted.  I entered it on the P2A flight plan and it displayed properly.  It is normal for the FILE button to go white anytime you make a change to the displayed flight plan.  Remember, P2A has 2 flight plans.  The one you enter and see, and the one ATC works off of.  When ATC clears you direct, it changes its version of the flight plan.  It doesn't care what you see on the display.

Pete, you are correct.  No need to change the displayed flight plan, because of ATC having it's own version as described below.  However, to be able to track progress visually in P2A, you can change it.

In my case, the TOD was recalculated and displayed.  If it's not, just press Validate, and it should then display the new calculation.

Now to the Descent and Approach.  There is a bug in the current version that can, in certain situations, cause vectoring to not work when there is no STAR.  I'm still working on that and it should be fixed in the 2507 version coming soon.

Thanks,

Dave

Ok, is there a setting somewhere that causes it not to generate a SID in this case?  Cuz there's nothing i can do that will make it file and not give me one.

Joe

Also, as an aside, that TOD seems late for FL 280...not sure if it's cuz of the descent rate or not.

Joe

Edited by mihalich

It's possible there are changes in the version I'm working on that make the SID not appear.

I have ATC Assigns SIDs unchecked, Force Pilot Runway Selection checked, and Auto Load Recommended Procedures checked.  

The TOD From FL280, 400 kts GS and 1500FPM descent is 83.7 NM.  Not sure what you got.  This worked out well when I flew it.

The next update should fix this route. 

Thanks for the report....I did fix some bugs as a result.

Dave

Dave,

It turns out it was the ATC Assigns SIDs unchecked that fixed the SID/Departure problem.  I had tried this before, but i unchecked the option, and then didn't unload the SID it forced on me before re-filing the flight plan, so the SID stayed there.  Once I unchecked the option, unloaded the SID, and re-filed, it did not add in the SID for me.

Thanks for the help,

Joe

• Like 1

On 11/24/2018 at 10:43 PM, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

Pete, you are correct.  No need to change the displayed flight plan, because of ATC having it's own version as described below.  However, to be able to track progress visually in P2A, you can change it.

Thanks Dave. It's what I thought.

I've no need for the P2A screen at all in my cockpit.  The plan is visible on my CDU and ND and that is enough for me to check. For different SIDs and STARS I can view them on EFB2 which is on a side screen in the cockpit, nd that can also show the plan once it is filed and loaded in P3D (or manually loaded into EFB2).

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen