Sign in to follow this  
STUART_H

FO shutdown engines uncommanded!

Just flying online with Vatsim and had MCE running too, was climbing to FL 190 when all of a sudden FO announces, uncommanded, Pre-Flight Checklist, which of course includes Engine Start Levers cutoff!

I tried to tell FO to "cancel checklist" but he just carried on and shutdown both engines. I managed to restart 1 engine but the other failed completely, and so reluctantly I had to abandon my Vatsim flight.

I realise engine failure does happen in real life, but I wasn't confident enough to continue online with one engine! 

This brings me on to my request, which I know has been raised before; would it be possible to add a button / key option, like with ATC, whereby when one wants to speak to the FO one has to press the button / key. I know there is an option to turn off the mic, but since I'm using the joystick button press to speak with Vatsim, I'm not sure if the MCE mic icon actually mutes the mic.

Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

1 hour ago, STUART_H said:

Just flying online with Vatsim and had MCE running too, was climbing to FL 190 when all of a sudden FO announces, uncommanded, Pre-Flight Checklist, which of course includes Engine Start Levers cutoff!

I tried to tell FO to "cancel checklist" but he just carried on and shutdown both engines. I managed to restart 1 engine but the other failed completely, and so reluctantly I had to abandon my Vatsim flight.

I realise engine failure does happen in real life, but I wasn't confident enough to continue online with one engine! 

This brings me on to my request, which I know has been raised before; would it be possible to add a button / key option, like with ATC, whereby when one wants to speak to the FO one has to press the button / key. I know there is an option to turn off the mic, but since I'm using the joystick button press to speak with Vatsim, I'm not sure if the MCE mic icon actually mutes the mic.

Stuart

No, MCE mute doesn't mute the mike as we always assume other apps might need it. Only suspends all speech reco going to MCE.

Normally, Fo would always prompt for confirmation before shutting down engine, when command is issued directly.

Because it's happening via the checklist, with default behaviour being "if item isn't in expected state, make sure it is".

This mishaps shows that the specific action to shutdown engine must be secured in checklist context in case FO is running the wrong section. Will be done in next update.

A few years ago, we had the FO smartly trying to argue when you ask him to read a checklist that did not make sense with regards your flight phase.

For instance, when you ask "after start check" and engines aren't running, Fo would ask you to reconsider.

Some users complained Fo was arguing too much, therefore made him just comply with the request.

And yes, you can just say "cancel checklist", "stop checklist" in case he starts reading the wrong section.

I believe, if you remove option "strict checklist" in "Advanced options" panel, Fo would eventually get to "fuel levers  -- off", then argue about the fact they aren't off, without actually shutting engines down.

4 minutes ago, FS++ said:

No, MCE mute doesn't mute the mike as we always assume other apps might need it. Only suspends all speech reco going to MCE.

[SH] I subsequently tested and found that to be the case. So I might try suspending the mic when I'm not requesting FO actions.

Normally, Fo would always prompt for confirmation before shutting down engine, when command is issued directly.

Because it's happening via the checklist, with default behaviour being "if item isn't in expected state, make sure it is".

This mishaps shows that the specific action to shutdown engine must be secured in checklist context in case FO is running the wrong section. Will be done in next update.

[SH] please ensure that the X-Plane version is updated too, as I'm using XP11.

A few years ago, we had the FO smartly trying to argue when you ask him to read a checklist that did not make sense with regards your flight phase.

For instance, when you ask "after start check" and engines aren't running, Fo would ask you to reconsider.

Some users complained Fo was arguing too much, therefore made him just comply with the request.

And yes, you can just say "cancel checklist", "stop checklist" in case he starts reading the wrong section.

[SH] I did say "Cancel checklist" a few time but FO didn't seem to hear and continued with the checklist.

I believe, if you remove option "strict checklist" in "Advanced options" panel, Fo would eventually get to "fuel levers  -- off", then argue about the fact they aren't off, without actually shutting engines down.

[SH] Thanks, I'll give this a try too and make sure "strict checklist" is off.

Gerald, thanks 

See my comments above.

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373