Sign in to follow this  
American 833 Heavy

A/P Lateral Axis Wildly Weaves

Just tried doing a quick flight in this bird from 5B2 to KCDW.

I have the F1 GTN installed. When I engaged Nav mode the airplane just started weaving left and right hunting the track with no logic. Bank reached 35 degrees and I'd have to disconnect the A/P.

Tried conitinuing the flight the HDG select mode only and the same thing it just weaves and hunts the course badly. Even if I turn it manually and line up the heading and engage heading mode it starts veering off course and banking very steeply.

I did a clean install with the latest installer from simmarket and still does this odd behavior.

Another thing I noticed is the rudder doesn't have enough authority to overcome the torque steer from the engine on takeoff. It veers left everytime past 60kts and full right rudder does nothing, it just prevents it from veering off more.

Just wondering if there are fixes available for any of these issues.

Thanks guys.

qwsig_Emil02-1.gif

There is a flightmodel update which may help.. should be on this forum..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Thanks Bert!

So I updated to the new FDE and installed your mod and it is slightly improved but still completely unusable sadly.

I have no such issues with any of my other Carenado and GTN equipped aircraft. None of them have this issue with the A/P Lateral Axis.

Even in heading select mode it has the same issue. It weaves back and forth hunting the heading and eventually it just flys in circles and rolls completely over and goes into a dive.

It will do the same thing in Nav mode from the GTN and it doesn't seem to follow the F/D at all.

When heading mode or nav mode is off, the vertical control of the A/P such as V/S, Alt Capture and other modes work perfectly. It's just the A/P lateral tracking is completely shot and totally disfunctional.

The airplane now hand flies beautifully however with the FDE update. And the rudder authority issue and torque issue on the takeoff roll is fixed. The AoA and flap lift/drag scalars seem much more realistic and the engine start ITT and Torque spiking is eliminated as well.

It's a shame because this is actually a really nice rendition of the PC12 with the mods and FDE update. But I can't get the A/P lateral control to function at all.

Frames during these occurrences have always been well above 40-50 fps. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling and it doesn't seem to fix the issue unfortunately.

I'll keep trying. Others that have this issue seem that they just gave up on it. It's probably a fault in the PC12s A/P code interacting with the default A/P is probably out of whack.

Shame as I was looking forward to flying this bird during my spare time.

Anything else anyone is aware of that could fix this issue?

Edited by American 833 Heavy

qwsig_Emil02-1.gif

1 hour ago, American 833 Heavy said:

The airplane now hand flies beautifully however with the FDE update. And the rudder authority issue and torque issue on the takeoff roll is fixed. 

Maybe this helps with trouble shooting; The updated FDE didn't change anything concerning rudder authority and torque. 

The AP is standard FSX/P3D. No specials. Can't be a fault in the AP code because it's apparently working for the majority of users.

R U using active sky?  This does cause severe problems with many high quality FDEs if e.g. the turbulence setting is higher than 20-30% 

Edited by FDEdev

Yes I am using Active Sky but weather in my tests has been clear and little to no wind all.

In the same situation testing in same weather post FDE update I was able to keep the airplane on the runway with the rudder. I have done 3 uninstall/reinstalls of this thing already. Restarting my PC in between each time and ensuring no residual files were left over post uninstall prior to reinstalling.

It's just the lateral control. The vertical A/P control works fine. I don't have this issue with any other aircraft and also do not have this issue with any of the other Carenado/Alabeo aircraft either.

People have reported similar issues regarding this. So it's not just me. I'm on W10 and also have a registered version of FSUIPC installed, but use default P3D for setting controller axis'. I use SPAD for my Saitek Multipanels which work flawlessly with any airplane that uses the default autopilot like Carenado planes. I even disconnected my multipanels to ensure it wasn't any interference and it made no difference. I always control the A/P using the MCP in the VC.

I just don't get it. Totally stumped on this one.

qwsig_Emil02-1.gif

Have you tried flying the PC12 without the F1 GTN installed? I don't have the GTN and no problems.