Sign in to follow this  
Sartanius

Finally... Replaced GTX1060 with RTX2080TI

Finally took the plunge, and am very pleased with the results.  Before installing the new card I established a particularly strenuous scenario in P3D where my FPS was horrible, saved the scenario, installed the new card, and loaded the same scenario.  Here are the results.  Note the only thing changed in my system is the video card, everything else (hardware/software/drivers/P3D config/Add-ons) were the exact same.

Note: PC specs in my signature.

Scenario:

• GTX-1060
  • P3Dv4.4 with Dynamic Lights (DL) enabled
  • FlightBeam KMSP Gate F10 at midnight on 12/13/2018 (DL enabled)
  • FSLabs A320 in Delta Livery with default Engine Running state
  • Dome Light: Dim
  • Taxi Lights: Taxi
  • Landing Lights: On
  • Virtual Cockpit - PIC View
  • Allowed to stabilize in this view for 5 minutes
  • GPU Load: 100%
  • FPS: 4.7

By replacing the GTX-1060 with an ASUS-STRIX-RTX2080TI-11G, the FPS with the exact same scenario jumped to 40 with a GPU load of 64%.  If my math is correct, FPS is 8.5 times better (or an 850% increase)!  Almost too hard to believe and well beyond my wildest expectations.  A very happy camper here!

Edit: Added GPU Load values

Edited by dmiannay
  • Like 2

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

A lot of power... RTX series.

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |

1 hour ago, dmiannay said:

P3Dv4.4 with Dynamic Lights (DL) enabled

Congrats! 

Yes, DL even with 4XSSAA at 4K resolution doesn't really impact the 2080Ti at all ... add a second 2080Ti and the GPUs are begging for something to do. 🙂

Cheers, Rob.

15 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

add a second 2080Ti and the GPUs are begging for something to do.

Give them some dynamic reflections to chew on - that will satisfy their hunger easy.😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pracines said:

Give them some dynamic reflections to chew on

I did both DL and DR, not a problem with FPS ... per my testing I can make'em sweat with everything turned ON (and I do mean everything) 8XSSAA 4K ... they'll get into the 90's for load %.  But like I've always said, if the CPU is maxed out, then no amount of GPU will help ... find the balance, get one's CPU around the 90% mark with one's favorite add-ons, then start adding the GPU intensive tasks like SSAA, DL, DR get them working and enjoy the sim.

Doug was obviously very GPU limited with the 1060 hence the major performance improvements from the 2080Ti ... given that he's running a 8700K @ 5Ghz.

Cheers, Rob.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I did both DL and DR, not a problem with FPS ... per my testing I can make'em sweat with everything turned ON (and I do mean everything) 8XSSAA 4K ... they'll get into the 90's for load %.  But like I've always said, if the CPU is maxed out, then no amount of GPU will help ... find the balance, get one's CPU around the 90% mark with one's favorite add-ons, then start adding the GPU intensive tasks like SSAA, DL, DR get them working and enjoy the sim.

Cheers, Rob.

All you need then is a very strong cold front with ASP4 settings all at max - 5 FPS made easy😂

5 hours ago, pracines said:

All you need then is a very strong cold front with ASP4 settings all at max

Nope that doesn't do it either, but keep in mind I run 256/512 clouds as I prefer how they look, I don't like the "edge" definition of high resolution clouds ... they just don't render well in all situations.

Cheers, Rob.

19 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I don't like the "edge" definition of high resolution clouds

That's why I use REX SkyForce for clouds instead of ASCA. Other than the REX guys better understand the International Cloud Atlas  than HiFi, they also apply a blur filter to the cloud textures. Between those clouds and the ASP4 in-cloud particle effect, I don't see how the clouds could be any better unless they were composed entirely of 3D particles.

• Like 1

I don't use ASCA ... prior in V4.3 I was using ENVTEX for sky/cloud textures ... the sky textures will certainly have an impact on PBR models so I'm kinda waiting to see where things go and who puts the most effort into PBR aware textures and not re-use FSX textures in a very different lighting environment.  I think TOGA projects is re-working a major version update to their product, so I'll do some wait and see what surfaces.

Cheers, Rob.