soppie

A user with a GTN750 that didn't start! (resolved)

After trying to fix this myself for the past 4 hours I've finally conceded defeat and come here for help. I've looked back through the multitude of threads and can see lots of other folk with the same problem, GTN options appear as expected in Plugins menu when running XP and the GTN750 pops up but with no power on. I had it working before but have reinstalled XP and reinstalled RXP but i cannot get it working this time. The Garmin trainer software is installed and working. When I run the RXP installer it confirms that the trainer is installed and doesn't give me any error messages. The log files give no clue as to what's wrong:-

18/12/23 15:37:05.953 01696 -    ] # win.xpl version 2.5.10.0
18/12/23 15:37:05.953 01696 INFO ] 

18/12/23 15:37:07.847 01696 -    ] # rxpGtnSim64.dll version 2.5.10.0
18/12/23 15:37:07.847 01696 INFO ] 
18/12/23 15:37:29.994 08616 INFO ] 
18/12/23 15:37:30.347 11832 INFO ] 

Using latest installers, as I say, I had it working this morning so whether there's some traces still in my registry that's messing things up I don't know, not sure where to look to be honest

Have tried with several aircraft, makes no difference, not so much as a glimmer. Absolutely stuck now, any suggestions please?

Found the answer in a post from November 2017 - I just needed to run XP 11 as Administrator! That's 4 hours of my life I'll never get back...

Hi,

I'm glad you've finally sorted this out, however this makes me wondering:

• Have you by any chance installed XP11 as-admin too?
  • Or the trainer as-admin?
  • Or our software as-admin?

6 hours ago, soppie said:

That's 4 hours of my life I'll never get back..

I acquired the 2nd IBM PC in the USA state of Oklahoma in late 1981 (the Computerland store franchise owner acquired the 1st) and if I logged the time lost like that to both PC and software problem solving since then it would be measured in an increment of at least a year +.   What would that be expressed as hours?

Hang in there!

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

There are 2 sides to every coin, what if spending 4H resolving an issue helps avoiding loosing much more time looking for external charts reference, navaids listings online, airport diagram etc... once everything is running, and I mean this, everyday, the GTN is ready to serve any of your flights?

What if spending 4H in front of the computer instead of say, doing some shopping, helped to avoid any other unfortunate event happening at the mall, or in the street?

Somehow, there are never any time lost because you never know what you'd lost otherwise. There is only time spent learning, time spent to better ourselves (sound like trecky writing this - yes I know my first name is the same as the famous Picard...), time spent to rejoice the ones we love and the ones we care about, time to think about how to better the world for everyone to enjoy, it is the holiday season, it's meant to be a happy moment regardless! 🎄

Edited by RXP
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, RXP said:

Hi,

I'm glad you've finally sorted this out, however this makes me wondering:

• Have you by any chance installed XP11 as-admin too?
  • Or the trainer as-admin?
  • Or our software as-admin?

I only ever run programmes as Admin if I'm explicitly told to during installation so I hadn't selected that option with any of the software. However, at some point in the past I must have hit a problem with X Plane so I was running my old version as Admin. I forgot about that when I reinstalled, hence I hit a problem when I came to try and run RXP. Hopefully my experience will help someone else that hits the same issue.

Edited by soppie
  • Upvote 1