Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

ORBX Vector

It has been a while since I have used Vector in my sim because I thought it was too much of a resource hog.  Generally speaking, in 4.4 have they made any improvements to performance?  I am thinking of reinstalling it but am hesitant if it will reduce my performance.  I am running 4.4 and fly the FSlabs primarily.  The Vector I am currently using is from a dev that I am supposedly not supposed to mention in AVSIM (if that makes a difference).  With that being said, would I be able to run both?

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

16 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

It has been a while since I have used Vector in my sim because I thought it was too much of a resource hog.  Generally speaking, in 4.4 have they made any improvements to performance?  I am thinking of reinstalling it but am hesitant if it will reduce my performance.  I am running 4.4 and fly the FSlabs primarily.  The Vector I am currently using is from a dev that I am supposedly not supposed to mention in AVSIM (if that makes a difference).  With that being said, would I be able to run both?

ORBX Vector still creates a performance hit. Not a bad one overall, but enough to be an issue in resource heavy locations such as L.A. Turn off most Vector options in the config panel to avoid your PC being overwhelmed.

The 'other' developer's Vector is roads only and has negligible performance issues. You can (and many people do) run both very well - once away from big cities.

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Would it be a big perf hit if I used the "other" for the roads and turn off anything road related in Vector?  

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

Of all my add-ons, ORBX Vector hit my performance the hardest, so I uninstalled it.  However, when I upgrade my PC next year I'll be adding it back in.

Thanks,

Mark

8 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

Would it be a big perf hit if I used the "other" for the roads and turn off anything road related in Vector?  

You should have already turned off ORBX roads & their road underlays when using both products, to prevent any display conflicts between them.

Also turn off power lines, marshes, beaches, golf courses, etc. I only leave bridges in place to reduce the overall impact.

14 minutes ago, mtrainer said:

However, when I upgrade my PC next year I'll be adding it back in.

A high performing CPU where you can really ramp up the overclock on Core 0 to or near 5.0 GHz with a few cores left to work hard on add-ons is highly recommended.

Hopefully AMD's Zen 2 CPUs can rival Intel's CPUs for pure speed. My current 1700X can't even hit 4.0 and that's my biggest regret of my current build.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

I haven't found Vector to be a huge performance hog on my setup, but I have lots of hardware "headroom" so that might be why.

I'll have to experiment around with the Vector config settings, or disabling it completely to see if it makes a significant difference in particularly tough scenery environments like KLAX, Heathrow, and a few others.

This much I can tell you for sure, it's a big time performance killer in FSX.