Sign in to follow this  
Guest Heber98

Screens - overcast/visibility

Looks niec howeverBill

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

Guest drdaru1

Matter of perspective I would guess. It'd be nice to fly truely "on-top" of say a 200' thick layer of stratus. MUST FILE IFR or VFR on top. :(

I can't. What'd you use, stratus 8/8? Yes I have clouds to 100%.Cumulus 8/8?Rhett

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>Rhett->>That's exactly what I have done in my first 3 shots at the top>of the post.>I know, and I saw your great posts...and the replies that one could see a cloud deck with overcast 8/8 setting and clouds at 100%...which I have never been able to obtain.So I wanted to point out that the ONLY way *I* could get it to work in FSX, was to do an 8/8 layer, and 1/16 vis layer, as you did.I'd still like to know how people have done it with only an 8/8 layer.:)mine still shows a lot of blue sky at 8/8 and 100%.Rhett

Rhett

Guest Loiosh

This -really- makes me excited for DX10.

I think I figured it out.When I set the clouds at just Juliana with 8/8 Stratus overcast, I had the same result as above: A patchy overcast. However, when I set all the nearby weather stations to the same thing, I got the solid overcast seen in my shots. So, it appears that the more stations that are reporting overcast in the vicinity, the more solid it will be.Try setting the overcast, but apply it to all weather stations, not just Juliana.

Guest jrboddie

I gave your suggestion a try, but unfortunately it did not improve the overcast for me. My theory is that the cloud generator detects the system capabilities and doesn't apply more clouds than it thinks your system is capable of rendering (even if maximum cloud density is selected in the options.) From your screen shots, I see that your frame rates are far higher than anything I have been able to achieve in cloudy conditions.My system (right now) is very modest: P4 2GHz, 1.2 GB, Geforce 6200 which is playable on low - mid scenery settings.

>>So, it appears that the more stations that are reporting>overcast in the vicinity, the more solid it will be.>>Try setting the overcast, but apply it to all weather>stations, not just Juliana.>>It's BLENDING the wx stations? Hmm. Well, that is a desirable feature to some extent,...but...it's *also* desirable to have 8/8 OVC overhead at the station that is reporting it. Is this a Catch-22?I will have to try what you suggest.Rhett

Rhett

Guest Heber98

>However, when I set all the nearby weather stations to the>same thing, I got the solid overcast seen in my shots. >>So, it appears that the more stations that are reporting>overcast in the vicinity, the more solid it will be.>Still no luck. Here are my settings:unlimited visibility and all traffic sliders 0%I have minimized ground settings.I thought the LOD radius should stay up...?

Guest drix

>As most people know the overcast flaw hasn't been fixed>however with the new visibility options it can look alot>better. >I just installed the demo, set the overcast to 300 at st maartens, ran the sim to be utterly dissapointed. The low overcast layer bug still exists. The ceiling and visibility are not two independent variables. Combining 300 ceiling with 10 miles visibility results in a ceiling of 2000 directly over the airport. After all this time this problem is not fixed.:( :(

Guest Heber98

>Combining 300 ceiling with>10 miles visibility results in a ceiling of 2000 directly over>the airport. After all this time this problem is not fixed.>I set:surface-300' 5mi vis300'-4000' 1/16mi vis300'-4000' stratus overcastIt's not the best solution, but it works.