Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Some advice

I did not know where to put this, but I thought I'd put it here and let the Mods decide where to put the post.  From time to time my clumsy fingers will mistype a url, and today for the first time in a while I did so.  I was immediately hit with a pop-up on a ransomware site that I could only get out of by shutting down Firefox.  But Firefox's Session Restore brought me right back to the site and it rendered Firefox usless until I was finally offered a dialog to not restore my session.

As a former WAN admin I highly recommend that Firefox Users disable session restore.  It cannot be done thru the standard firefox Options or Security Options.  It must be done thru About:config typed from the URL bar.  The steps are as follows:

1. Launch Firefox.

2. Type about:config in the address bar and press enter.

3. Accept the warning (This might void your warranty..) and proceed to the next page (click I’ll be careful, I promise!)..

This might void your warranty

4. Type “browser.sessionstore” in the Filter and look for the entry “browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash”.

session restore firefox settings

5. By default, the boolean value will be “true”. Right-click on the entry and choose “Toggle” to set the value to “false”. Close and restart the Firefox.

Browser session restore settings in firefox

John, I used to have Firefox, but couple of years ago switched to Bitdefender. Works better for me!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lennie said:

John, I used to have Firefox, but couple of years ago switched to Bitdefender. Works better for me!

Bitdefender is anti virus, not a browser, just so folks are not confused.  Ransomware is sometimes hard to catch with anti virus unless it is up to date, since the jerks who write Ransomware are always one step ahead from Anti Virus makers.  Plus I do not like to replace Anti Virus software when hit by ransomware, since ransomware trys to terrorize one into doing just that.  I use Malwarebytes and Windows Defender and both have served me well for some years.  The only problem is Windows Update itself, because if it crashes like it finally did on my old system your system is literally toast if it cannot boot up.  Windows update did in my old system but hey--I built a better simming system out of my store bought MSI Vortex, it was about time after ten years and I do not regret it, just wish I could get FS9 back with WOAI but sadly my old system was FUBARD.....

John

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, lennie said:

I did add the free Bitdefender Traffic Light to my browser, I am testing it now on a few problem sites I know of.

Edit:  I tested it on one problem site with annoying pop-ups that try to trick you into accepting drive by downloads....  Works better than Firefox's pop-up blocker, so when I get the chance I will get their anti-virus software, I am sold by using their free plugin for my browsers...

John

Edited by John_Cillis

As followup, this is what I love about these forums.  When you share good advice you get good advice back.  BitDefender Traffic Light is the best free pop up blocker I've ever used.  It only blocks the annoying ones, I like adverts when I browse, just not malicious ones or pesty ones.  Avsim has always been a good, honest site with its adverts, the most honorable website which is why I like reading of the world here more than anywhere else.  In return I have contributed to the Avsim economy, I have never been wronged by a product Avsim has recommended nor would I wrong someone in a product I recommend, like No Limits Coaster Sim 2 for the stunt pilot in us, Ole Lange has developed the sim to perfection over the past decade and has a free update system in place.  He doesn't put people on his coaster though, you hear them, but they prefer to be invisible I guess for reasons of national security and what not.....

John

• Like 2