Sign in to follow this  
turboken

Load time bottleneck... Not the SSD???

Recently I decided it was taking too long for scenery to load before my flight. Currently I use a 500GB M.2 drive with a read/write speed around 500MB/sec.

So I decided if I bought a shiny new NVME pci x4 drive with 2500MB/sec. I could possibly see a x5 fold increase in loading times. So after imaging the new drive and swapping it in place of the old I got my trusty timer out and ran the same saved scenery and tada. Wanna know how much faster it was......  0 seconds.....

I bench marked the drive, it IS 5 times faster then the old, but I have a constraint somewhere. So am I really waiting on my processor to ahem... process???

Thoughts???

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Nope, not the SSD.  Probably an excess of AI planes and scenery.  Every active scenery and aircraft (including AI) in your simulator configuration is processed as part of the sim startup.  If you want to really speed loading up, use something like the Lorby-SI P3D Addon Manager (or Scenery Config Editor in FSX) to disable the scenery you're not using for the current flight.

Regards