Sign in to follow this  
Sims Smith

Newbie P2A and VFR questions

I been reading the manual but still have some questions.

Question #1.

If I forgot to run P2A but middle of my VFR flight then what are the correct procedure to engage P2A?  (as much detail will be appropriated special with order of operation). 

Question #2.

In VRF what is the purpose/difference between  

"Direct To"

"Flight following"

"Open flight plan"

Question #3.

Similar to Question #1, Let say I am lost but middle of my VFR flight. I don't want to use maps or GPS. What is the procedure to ask for ATC for help to guide to an airport?

System Spec 1: Nvidia RTX 4090,  AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Res 5120x1440, HP Reverb G2
System Spec 2: AMD Radeon RX 7900XT, Intel I-9 9990K, Res 3840x1080, HP Reverb G2

1) Flying VFR, you can contact ATC anytime and request VFR Flight Following...which will get ATC to call out traffic.  When approaching your destination, you can call tower for landing instructions.  See the VFR Cheat Sheet for how to do these calls.

2) Direct To is not applicable to VFR Flights.  Flight Following is as explained above.  Opening a VFR flight plan is done with a Flight Service Station and merely lets them know that you are airborne so if you close your flight plan, they can send out search and rescue.  Of course, P2A does not have search and rescue.

3) You can request radar vectors to a Straight-In Approach for a Runway at the airport.  That will then put you in IFR mode since you will be under the control of ATC.  Just getting a bearing to an airport from ATC is not implemented yet.

Hope that helps.

Dave

• Like 1

How can I request my Squawk code again? 

System Spec 1: Nvidia RTX 4090,  AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Res 5120x1440, HP Reverb G2
System Spec 2: AMD Radeon RX 7900XT, Intel I-9 9990K, Res 3840x1080, HP Reverb G2

On 1/26/2019 at 3:50 PM, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

... Of course, P2A does not have search and rescue

Yes it does...just the other day I got lost during a flight and P2ATC must have contacted my wife my wife; she came calling for dinner. I made it just in time!

• Like 2