Sign in to follow this  
jabloomf1230

Add-on Organizer does not re-prioritize scenery layers

This issue is with the most recent AO beta (addonorganizer_1_39_b10.zip). I tried to move the fsaerodata entries (which are located in scenery.cfg) up to the top of the AO scenery list. AO moves them fine, above all the entries added with the add-on.xml method. Then I save with AO and run P3d 4.4. The fsaerodata entries are not at the top of the scenery library in the sim and are still lower in priority than the add-on.xml entries. I then close the sim and run the AO and in fact, the fsaerodata entries are back where they were originally. Here is what the AO did to scenery.cfg:

[Area.229]
Title=Tobago TTCP
Local=LatinVFR\Tobago TTCP
Layer=226
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.231]
Title=AFM - Aerodrome Flattening Meshes
Local=G:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\pilots_software\AFM\scenery
Layer=227
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.265]
Title=FSAD_Navaids
Local=C:\Users\Jay Bloomfield\Documents\fsAerodata Files\Navigation Data\Navaids
Layer=228
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.266]
Title=FSAD_Approaches1
Local=C:\Users\Jay Bloomfield\Documents\fsAerodata Files\Navigation Data\P3D\PROC_SIDs
Layer=229
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.267]
Title=FSAD_Approaches
Local=C:\Users\Jay Bloomfield\Documents\fsAerodata Files\Navigation Data\P3D\PROC
Layer=230
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.268]
Title=FSAD_Comms
Local=C:\Users\Jay Bloomfield\Documents\fsAerodata Files\Navigation Data\Comms
Layer=231
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

Note that the areas are renumbered, but the layers are not. By manually creating an add-on.xml file for the fsaerodata entries with layers 265 through 268 and deleting the fsaerodata entries from scenery.cfg, everything is ordered correctly according to the sim. Any thoughts? People have obviously made this work, since other fsaerodata users have stated that the AO does this correctly.

Hello Jay,

generally speaking, you shouldn't do this. All add-on.xml based references should be above all scenery.cfg entries, with the exception of base layers or mesh. There shouldn't be "gaps" in the scenery.cfg layer numbers, and the P4AO tries to rearrange things so there aren't. This is especially problematic if there are disabled external sceneries inbetween the scenerey.cfg entries - they can't have layer numbers in that state, and that leads to many strange issues. If you want those scenery entries at the top, I'd suggest moving them to an add-on.xml. Also, make sure that you don't have the "strict layer law" activated on the Tools tab, that would prevent this too. 

But - the decisive moment is when you press the red "Save" button and it turns grey again. At this point P4AO reloads the whole configuration, and what things look like at that moment should stay that way. Otherwise something else might be interfering.

btw, as I have that product too - is that where the FSAerodata entries are supposed to be? On top of everything?

Best regards

LORBY-SI

Thanks, I figured that, but I'm wondering how other users say that it works. One only needs to have those fsaerodata entries as the highest priority if one wants them to correct all the 3rd party airports installed via the add-on.xml method. There's a thread on the official fsaerodata support site about it.

39 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

But - the decisive moment is when you press the red "Save" button and it turns grey again. At this point P4AO reloads the whole configuration, and what things look like at that moment should stay that way. Otherwise something else might be interfering.

It did that but after running the sim, quitting and then running P4AO again, everything was back to the original state. I'm not going to worry about it, because I just added the fsaerodata entries with an add-on.xml file and it worked okay. All I have to worry about is the fsaerodata AIRAC installer mucking up scenery.cfg with new entries.

2 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Thanks, I figured that, but I'm wondering how other users say that it works. One only needs to have those fsaerodata entries as the highest priority if one wants them to correct all the 3rd party airports installed via the add-on.xml method. There's a thread on the official fsaerodata support site about it.

It did that but after running the sim, quitting and then running P4AO again, everything was back to the original state. I'm not going to worry about it, because I just added the fsaerodata entries with an add-on.xml file and it worked okay. All I have to worry about is the fsaerodata AIRAC installer mucking up scenery.cfg with new entries.

It really is annoying dealing with fsaerodata updates IF one has moved them to addon.xml file. They always end up back in the scenery.cfg after an AIRAC update. After about a year of dealing with it every month, I just left fsaerodata in scenery.cfg, and I have it below all my addon.xml, but above Orbx airports. I don't know why fsaerodata doesn't use the addon.xml method for install.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB