Sign in to follow this  
Michael Moe

Clearing scenery index all the time

Hi,

I had some issues with prior version so i desided to uninstall P4AO and deleting every leftover folders and install the latest build. 

It seems to work just fine (thank you) but i was wondering why the software wants to clear the scenery index every time i make a group or wants to safe (double click).

I just dont quite know what it meens in practice so could you in- light me ? Should i say yes every time ?

Also is it a must to have everything enabled before installing a new add-on as i can see the that P4AO with the new method is removing addons inside the "top" scenerys inside P3D scenery Menu (xml method) when i disable them in the P4AO software (making them red)

Thanks alot

Michael Moe

Edited by Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Hello Michael,

the scenery index is a P3D internal database that the sim is supposed to rebuild whenever you handle scenery (add, enable, disable, remove, change). That message in P4AO gives you the opportunity to force P3D to rebuild this database ("Yes") or just leave it be and let P3D decide ("No"). It just seemed like a good idea to remind the user that the sim will react to scenery changes, and that you can force a "clean slate" by pressing "yes". In P4AO there is a scenery index report too, where it decompiles that database so you can see how your scenery is actually read by the sim  - as opposed to what you think that you have configured...

It is unnecessary to enable all other scenery just for installing a new one. It doesn't matter. Please make sure to read the chapter in the P4AO manual about enabling/disabling components to understand what exactly is happening here. If you want to stay within P3D specs, you have to activate the "strict package rule" in P4AO - but that means that you can no longer disable individual components of an addon.xml (= the package), only the whole thing (which is exactly the same as disabling it in P3D on the Options->Add-ons dialog - that makes the external sceneries disappear too).

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Thank you alot for taking the time also to write here. I will donate your work for sure. 

I noticed i had 2 illegal path entrys from FSDG which was magenta. They are pointing to a sound and a effect folder within its own installation folder which doesnt seem to exist at all. No harm seems done. 

Btw. Should i run this software directly after a new addon installation or after a P3d runup? 

Thank you 

Michael Moe 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

11 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

Thank you alot for taking the time also to write here. I will donate your work for sure. 

I noticed i had 2 illegal path entrys from FSDG which was magenta. They are pointing to a sound and a effect folder within its own installation folder which doesnt seem to exist at all. No harm seems done. 

Btw. Should i run this software directly after a new addon installation or after a P3d runup? 

Thank you 

Michael Moe 

Hello Michael,

those paths probably aren't broken, just empty. That would sometimes lead to P3D not starting in 4.3 which is why they are shown in magenta. Maybe that has become unnecessary in 4.4, but I kept it around just in case.

If you have the latest version of P4AO it doesn't matter which one you run first. P4AO will detect new packages too. Just be aware that there is a bug in P3D 4.4 regarding automatically discovered addons:

https://prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=132273

This is not much of an issue now, but it may be when P3D 4.5 fixes it. We will see.

Best regards

LORBY-SI