Sign in to follow this  
Jocko Flocko

Just A Heads Up Regarding EVGA's PrecisionX OC & P3Dv4.4

Just thought I would "pay it forward" as I found this information buried *DEEP* on the Lockheed Martin P3D forum.

I was having *MASSIVE* lag and frame-rates bottoming out into the single digits every time I went to undock *ANY* panel in P3D v4.4, just doing so would many times cause a CTD. The issue had stopped me from being able to undock *ANY* gauges and/or panels in P3D v4.4, even the native panel manager would cause the same issue.  It took me several hours of searching through multiple forums to find out the cause but in the end it turned out to be EVGA's PrecisionX OC application that allows overclocking and custom fan control of Nvidia based GPU's that was causing the issue(s). As soon as I uninstalled PrecisionX OC v6.2.7 (the latest version available from august 2018 on EVGA's website) I was again able to undock any panel and/or gauge on any aircraft without any lag or massive impact on frame-rates.

In terms of over-clocking and fan control, I am now using MSI's much superior Afterburner (beta version 4.6.0) It has yet to cause any of the issues I was having in P3D v4.4 and it also seems to have improved the overall smoothness of the sim. MSI Afterburner also includes a method to record video in game or desktop without having to install Nvidia's over-bloated Geforce Experience as the Afterburner application will hook into the same hardware encoder (NVENC) as Nvidia's ShadowPlay does.

I am using a 3 monitor setup with an EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW Gamer Edition with the Nvidia 417.71 driver release. I am running Windows 7 64bit with 32GB's of memory with an old i7 2600K overclocked at 5.2Ghz. I hope this helps anyone that might be having the same issue that I was having.

Cheers
Andrew 

Edited by Jocko Flocko
Grammar.

Andrew Walker

I use this software without any of the symptoms you described.

Probably you were OC your GPU too much causing instability on your system, overclocking your video card requires a similar approach as OC your CPU, you increase the GPU speed in small steps and you will also need to increase the voltage, then perform tests to check the system is stable and repeat.

Each time you need also to check if the GPU temps are not too high as otherwise you would reach the thermal throttling limits which can cause video artefacts or also CTD.

It is recommended to use the unigine heaven test to compare your performance after each GPU clocks adjustment, if you see any video artefacts during the tests, it means your video OC is not optimal.

This is the link for the unigine benchmark tool: https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven

Regards 

Simbol 

• Upvote 1

@simbol No over-clocking of the GPU was ever in use, I simply used Precision X OC for fan control, temperature monitoring and customizing the RGB lights on the card. Temperatures on the card have never gone any higher than 63C in full boost mode. I never saw a need to over-clock the GTX 1080Ti FTW as it boosts out of the box between 1860 to 2000 and running in 1080p native resolution with 4X SSAA the card never boosts at all in P3D 4.4 as I use a locked frame-rate of 30.

May I ask what type of multiple monitor setup you're using and the operating system?

Andrew Walker

2 hours ago, simbol said:

I use this software without any of the symptoms you described.

Probably you were OC your GPU too much causing instability on your system, overclocking your video card requires a similar approach as OC your CPU, you increase the GPU speed in small steps and you will also need to increase the voltage, then perform tests to check the system is stable and repeat.

Each time you need also to check if the GPU temps are not too high as otherwise you would reach the thermal throttling limits which can cause video artefacts or also CTD.

It is recommended to use the unigine heaven test to compare your performance after each GPU clocks adjustment, if you see any video artefacts during the tests, it means your video OC is not optimal.

This is the link for the unigine benchmark tool: https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven

Regards 

Simbol 

Same here Simbol, no issues whatsoever.

I'm using Precision X1 with my EVGA 2080Ti, and I prefer it's feature set and interface to MSI afterburner.

Regarding Unigine Heaven... It's a legacy product, dating back to 2009, so anyone looking at Unigine benchmarking tools might want to consider either Unigine Valley (2013) or Unigine Superposition (2017), but it's just a suggestion, if Heaven is what's recommended by your hardware manufacturer, perhaps that's what you should stick with....

• Like 1