Sign in to follow this  
737Andi

Correct Flying of a missed approach procedure

Hello,

I'm not completely sure on how to fly a missed approach procedure correctly. 
I would like to use the Approach ILS 24 at IBIZA as an example.

See https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uQ_lxVimroqZ6xD7F_Q72Rb6fWhpF3G5

Do real pilots just hit the LNAV and VNAV with A/P on after the go around or do they really fly the missed approach procedure manually by hand using headings and navaid distances?

In my example this would mean the pilots climb to 800feet then turn left with 185knots to the radial 182° up to 7DME. How do they know the exact heading for the coming second left turn after D7.0 IBA ? I would be very thankful if someone could bring some light into how this is done in real life.

Thanks!

Best regards Andreas

It depends on how your aircraft is equipped, but most airlines would just employ the FMS (and back it up with radnav). Technically of course nothing would prevent flying on raw data, but it's not routinely done anymore on the glass jets.. except in training of course.

Ok...lets assume I would need to fly without autopilot.
How do I know the heading for the second left turn?
How do real pilots work with the vors and distances?

HI Andreas,

As Ilari says above, this is very type-specific.

Normally if you are equipped, you would fly the missed approach in LNAV and ideally with the autopilot engaged -- there's normally enough going on in such a situation without having to worry about manhandling the aircraft around!

However, the missed approach procedure is usually constructed based on radio navaids to a) allow you to fly the procedure in a non-FMS equipped aircraft and b) to allow you to cross-check the LNAV track with the raw data. You would plan all of this (check that the missed approach procedure is loaded correctly in the FMS, plan how exactly you will fly it -- including which autopilot modes you will use, what actions you will need to take to initiate the go-around, when you will start the acceleration to clean up and which modes you will use, what the relevant altitudes are (and indeed what you are going to set in the alt sel window once you are established on final approach) and what you intend to do after the missed approach) as part of your arrival briefing well before top of descent so that in the event you do have to conduct a go-around it is not a surprise!

8 minutes ago, 737Andi said:

How do I know the heading for the second left turn?

There is no constant heading: the instruction is to turn left and follow the 9 DME arc from IBA. This means that you will need to turn left until the RMI needle is pointing at 90 degrees to the left of your heading and the IBA DME is constant at at 9.0. You will then need to continue a very gentle left turn (or fly a series of short straight segments: for instance, level the wings, fly until the RMI needle drops 5 degrees or so and then turn left until the RMI needle is say 5 degrees ahead of your left wing and repeat).

Once you have passed the 152 radial (RMI indicating 332 - the reciprocal - as it will be pointing toward the VOR and radials are always FROM the VOR) you can then turn right to track the 140 radial (which you'd probably want to have set up in advance on one of your VOR receivers) and climb to 3000ft.

14 minutes ago, 737Andi said:

How do real pilots work with the vors and distances?

In general or in an FMS-equipped airline environment?

The first -- i.e. the details of how to operate radio navigation kit and get from A to B -- is quite a meaty topic which is probably beyond a simple reply in a forum ;). For the latter -- the raw data (VOR/DME/NDB indications) are generally used as a cross-check to ensure that the LNAV track is in the right place.