Sign in to follow this  
btacon

Helios 733 crash north of Athens

Latest reports are that the pressurisation switch may have been turned to the off position during maintenance and not turned on by the flight crew.Apparently the warning sound for pressurisation failure is the same as that for improper take-off configuration. However, the pressurisation warning occurs on reaching 10,000ft and the improper take-off congfiguration warning only occurs with wheels on the ground.

Hey Kevin...Sorry, I was in a foul mood last night, and I guess just being cantankerous.I hope you accept my appologies, and I'm very glad the mystery around Helios 733 seems to be ending.Best to you,Braun

Guest DNelson

For anyone with access to Aviation Week and Space Technology, the Oct 16 issue summarizes the final report on this accident issued by the Greek authorities.Two direct causes: (1), A maintenance crew had left a cabin pressurization setting on "manual" the previous evening, and the crew did not catch this during either the "before start" or "after takeoff" checklists. The manual setting would require the crew to open or close outflow valves to control cabin pressure.(2), The crew failed to identify warnings or reasons why they activated. These included cabin altitude warning horn, passenger oxygen mask deployment indicator, and master caution switch.There's much more in the article, but since it's a copyrighted publication, I'm not going to cut and paste the whole article.