Sign in to follow this  
ashepherd316

Orbx true earth great britain south best control panel settings

so why does this scenery have such bad performance is it because of my graphics card i hat a gtx 980ti or my cpu which is a 7700k

Alexander Shepherd

That GTX 980Ti is a word not allowed sight better than my GTX 770. I am currently running ORBx TrueEarth GB South with all of those 3DM files disabled.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Yeh i had to delete the files otherwise it was a slide show lol but it doesnt look haklf as good now.

Alexander Shepherd

I decided to use Aerosoft's VFR London X with TrueEarth GB South, and it does a pretty good job (after sorting out the disappearing autogen). The centre of London in TrueEarth GB South is a pile of garbage with those 3DM files removed, so activating the older skyline of Aerosoft VFR London X is a compromise. However, it is worth noting that the Aerosoft rendition of Canary Wharf looks a lot better than the ORBx version (which has alarmingly low resolution textures on the main buildings).

To be honest, I am puzzled by some of the decisions made with ORBx TrueEarth GB South. It should have been blindingly obvious that the Canary Wharf buildings needed high resolution textures, considering that they are "up close and personal" during a Runway 27 departure from London City airport. I also note (from the ORBx forum) that the Tamar Road Bridge has basically been built from one of those crappy extrusion bridges, with rather poor renditions of the twin support towers. An iconic bridge like this needs a proper bespoke 3D model, not any of that extrusion rubbish.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 hour ago, ashepherd316 said:

Yeh i had to delete the files otherwise it was a slide show lol but it doesnt look haklf as good now.

True, but it's necessary to remove them to be able to fly a payware airliner into a payware EGLL with AI and to have decent FPS.
Back to your original question, the best setting to obtain best performance *by far* is to remove all 3DM files - nothing else has as big an impact.

41 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

I decided to use Aerosoft's VFR London X with TrueEarth GB South, and it does a pretty good job (after sorting out the disappearing autogen). The centre of London in TrueEarth GB South is a pile of garbage with those 3DM files removed, so activating the older skyline of Aerosoft VFR London X is a compromise. However, it is worth noting that the Aerosoft rendition of Canary Wharf looks a lot better than the ORBx version (which has alarmingly low resolution textures on the main buildings).

To be honest, I am puzzled by some of the decisions made with ORBx TrueEarth GB South. It should have been blindingly obvious that the Canary Wharf buildings needed high resolution textures, considering that they are "up close and personal" during a Runway 27 departure from London City airport. I also note (from the ORBx forum) that the Tamar Road Bridge has basically been built from one of those crappy extrusion bridges, with rather poor renditions of the twin support towers. An iconic bridge like this needs a proper bespoke 3D model, not any of that extrusion rubbish.

I wonder if ORBX will use higher res textures for the upcoming EGLC?
There was the mention that the ZL18 imagery originally to be used in Central London in TEGB is to be used for 'other products'. They set a precedent with having additional POIs not available in TEGB Central if XP users bought EGCB.
But to be honest, it's likely that the Canary Wharf textures are deemed 'good enough'.

The toss-up for Central London detail is to accept an older, but better modelled Central London skyline with VFR London-X or go for a newer, less detailed one with TEGB South.

Shame, it appears to be a step too far for their price point. For an extra £10-£15 per product and more time, care and attention paid to it, we would really be appreciating the TE series a whole lot more.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter