ashepherd316

Orbx true earth great britain south best control panel settings

Posted (edited)

what are the best settings in the control panel to get the best performance in p3d v4 thanks.

Edited by ashepherd316

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Very simple : uncheck everything

And remove the 3D_M bgl files outside their scenery folder.

ah right its that bad is it lol well i suppose its either that then or get 6fps and a slide show

Have you tried using JohnV's settings - it make a big difference in fps and stutters on my system. I leave most of the CP items checked...

Here you go:

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/168114-tegb-south-p3dv44-settings-for-smooth-performance-at-4k/

LOL

John’s settings are almost max settings ....

i tried and over london i still get poor performance its better but still poor so i think i will need to uncheck everything and delete those files.

Don't delete them. Just move them to a backup folder.

There is an app that I find greatly improves performance with this Orbx product. From memory, it’s called x-plane11.exe, or something like that.

:)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, OzWhitey said:

There is an app that I find greatly improves performance with this Orbx product. From memory, it’s called x-plane11.exe, or something like that.

🙂

LOL! However, I have to agree....which is why I decided not to wait and instead purchased TE GB North for X-Plane 11. Performance is pretty good and has the added advantage of being able to run the same X-Plane installation from both Windows 7, my primary o/s, and Windows 10 (Dual Boot config). Can’t do that with Prepar3D. Currently not using X-Plane for much else although I do dip into it from time to time.

Word to the wise: be sure to have adequate cooling on your CPU! The initial download is around 20GB. This is unpacked and after a lengthy period of processing expands to nearly 140GB. During this processing period I noted all cores were running at or near 100%!! Normally I rarely see CPU temps under load exceeding 60C. However, this aforementioned process pushed this up to 85C and was maintained for a nail biting length of time, possibly an hour or two. I can’t be certain how long as I rejoined the party after the download had completed and file processing was well under way. Whole procedure was done and dusted ‘safely’ after 6 and a half hours. My case fans were configured for quiet operation and while the CPU water cooler pump was running at Max, the radiator fans were not. Making appropriate adjustments brought CPU package temps down to 65C towards the end of this exercise. Corsair LINK 4 software is now installed so, hopefully, there should be no repetition. During the build of this rig I opted for manual control of the individual case fans via a front panel. Now, with the benefit of hindsight, this may not have been an optimal decision....although, where computers are concerned, I do prefer being in control wherever possible. Ah well, lessons learned, I suppose.

Regards,

Mike

Edited by Cruachan

LOL! However, I have to agree....which is why I decided not to wait and instead purchased TE GB North for X-Plane 11. Performance is pretty good and has the added advantage of being able to run the same X-Plane installation from both Windows 7

....and the disadvantage of having a 30m resolution mesh. I dread to think what some of Scotland's cliffs and other geographical features look like with a resolution that low. One example of a 3D landmark that would not fit here is Dunnottar Castle (just south of Stonehaven on the north east coast). It probably looks like a farmhouse on sea washed turf in the Xplane 11 version of TrueEarth North. I sincerely hope that they source 5m mesh for the P3D v4 version.

• Upvote 1

i deleted all the 3d files and the fps are good now but it just doesnt look as good unfortunately.

5 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

...and the disadvantage of having a 30m resolution mesh

Can't speak to that as so far I've only experienced a brief flight from EGPH around Edinburgh and a few miles south beyond the Pentland Hills. Spotted my house and garden except the building has been obscured with a generic looking 3D model which looks nothing like it. Pity. Apart from that, the general look of the scenery is convincing and seems to be quite comprehensive and accurate. I do believe I'm liking what I'm seeing. Nice also to see moving traffic and several trains. Trees are not as well depicted as in Prepar3D, however, but coverage is good. Also nice to see they have included all 3 Forth Bridges.

Have you tried Scotflight for ORBX in Prepar3D? Complements ORBX EU Scotland very well. Iain Gallacher has done a sterling job over the years and his lovingly created scenery is to be recommended. Also, Scotland is one of those countries on the planet where FSGlobal Ultimate NG Mesh really brings out the best this land has to offer...which is certainly a great deal.

Regards,

Mike

Have you tried Scotflight for ORBX in Prepar3D? Complements ORBX EU Scotland very well. Iain Gallacher has done a sterling job over the years and his lovingly created scenery is to be recommended.

I use Scotflight with PlayHorizon UK VFR Photographic Scenery and Earth Simulations Treescapes.

so why does this scenery have such bad performance is it because of my graphics card i hat a gtx 980ti or my cpu which is a 7700k

That GTX 980Ti is a word not allowed sight better than my GTX 770. I am currently running ORBx TrueEarth GB South with all of those 3DM files disabled.

Yeh i had to delete the files otherwise it was a slide show lol but it doesnt look haklf as good now.

Posted (edited)

I decided to use Aerosoft's VFR London X with TrueEarth GB South, and it does a pretty good job (after sorting out the disappearing autogen). The centre of London in TrueEarth GB South is a pile of garbage with those 3DM files removed, so activating the older skyline of Aerosoft VFR London X is a compromise. However, it is worth noting that the Aerosoft rendition of Canary Wharf looks a lot better than the ORBx version (which has alarmingly low resolution textures on the main buildings).

To be honest, I am puzzled by some of the decisions made with ORBx TrueEarth GB South. It should have been blindingly obvious that the Canary Wharf buildings needed high resolution textures, considering that they are "up close and personal" during a Runway 27 departure from London City airport. I also note (from the ORBx forum) that the Tamar Road Bridge has basically been built from one of those crappy extrusion bridges, with rather poor renditions of the twin support towers. An iconic bridge like this needs a proper bespoke 3D model, not any of that extrusion rubbish.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ashepherd316 said:

Yeh i had to delete the files otherwise it was a slide show lol but it doesnt look haklf as good now.

True, but it's necessary to remove them to be able to fly a payware airliner into a payware EGLL with AI and to have decent FPS.
Back to your original question, the best setting to obtain best performance *by far* is to remove all 3DM files - nothing else has as big an impact.

41 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

I decided to use Aerosoft's VFR London X with TrueEarth GB South, and it does a pretty good job (after sorting out the disappearing autogen). The centre of London in TrueEarth GB South is a pile of garbage with those 3DM files removed, so activating the older skyline of Aerosoft VFR London X is a compromise. However, it is worth noting that the Aerosoft rendition of Canary Wharf looks a lot better than the ORBx version (which has alarmingly low resolution textures on the main buildings).

To be honest, I am puzzled by some of the decisions made with ORBx TrueEarth GB South. It should have been blindingly obvious that the Canary Wharf buildings needed high resolution textures, considering that they are "up close and personal" during a Runway 27 departure from London City airport. I also note (from the ORBx forum) that the Tamar Road Bridge has basically been built from one of those crappy extrusion bridges, with rather poor renditions of the twin support towers. An iconic bridge like this needs a proper bespoke 3D model, not any of that extrusion rubbish.

I wonder if ORBX will use higher res textures for the upcoming EGLC?
There was the mention that the ZL18 imagery originally to be used in Central London in TEGB is to be used for 'other products'. They set a precedent with having additional POIs not available in TEGB Central if XP users bought EGCB.
But to be honest, it's likely that the Canary Wharf textures are deemed 'good enough'.

The toss-up for Central London detail is to accept an older, but better modelled Central London skyline with VFR London-X or go for a newer, less detailed one with TEGB South.

Shame, it appears to be a step too far for their price point. For an extra £10-£15 per product and more time, care and attention paid to it, we would really be appreciating the TE series a whole lot more.