Sign in to follow this  
turner112

FSX thoughts....

Reflecting on FSX...First of all, a big thank you to Mike (tdragger) and Jason (pixelpoke -- welcome back Jason, glad to have you back on the boards). Your prescence here is appreciated more than you know by most of us, I enjoy reading your thoughts and information about FSX, and look forward over the next few months or so to more information, tidbits on FSX, and more screenshots as they become available.I'm somewhat amused by some of the negative postings about FSX... I don't understand them, but I'm used to them, because it's just human nature for some people to complain. With each new version the naysayers come out with their rantings and ravings about how the new version is no better than the last, will not run on their systems, and with their add-ons and FSxxxx they don't need a new version. There is some truth to that, of course, but the reality has always been that each new version is a step up in reality, content and improvement. Yes, some new versions have been significant steps forward, others only slightly improved or even a bit "buggy". With time though, nearly all diehard FS simmers upgrade to the new version, and get more enjoyment out of it as they upgrade their systems. It's an inevitable process, always has been, always will be. FSX will be no different.As for FSX and the information provided thus far; especially now that E3 has come and gone. It's quite apparent to me that this version will (or should be) a significant upgrade, and I am very excited about it. Not a whole lot of information has been provided so far about many specific things (by design of course, after all, it's still in development and not in beta yet). But it's apparent by the screenshots themselves that a lot of content has been added to this version. Mesh, texture resolution, autogen, water textures, reflectivity, lighting, aircraft & building detail, AI (planes, cars, trucks, boats, ships, animals, birds......), camera views, more roads, rivers and lakes; coastline detail greatly enhanced, geez, the list goes on and on. We haven't seen them yet but I suspect there are also improvements to ATC, 2D and virtual panels, improved weather and clouds; in short, everything about the sim will be upgraded, enhanced and improved. Then, you have the fact that immersive "missions" (and a mission builder?) are being included for those who want to try them and have some fun with them; or, you can simply use the sim the way you always have, it's your choice. Just because these "missions" are being added to FSX doesn't mean you have to use them; it simply adds a new dimension to the game that might attract even more simmers to the fold and helps keep the FS franchise alive and well for the future.As for how FSX will run on our current systems. Well, judging by the screenshots from E3 of the detail settings that will be provided, once again the sim will be scalable to your PC. You can add or subtract as much detail as you like (or your system can handle) depending on what you like best about Flight Simulator. That's the way it's always been and now even more so. And, like it's always been, should you upgrade your system later on more detail will be available to you should you want it. I have a 3.2Ghz P4, 2 GB ram, Nvidia PCI Express GeForce 6800 256mb video card, 250 GB hard drive, 17" LCD monitor. I suspect from improvements in tightening code and taking advantage of the extra memory on video cards I will be able to run FSX at the same frame rate (I set mine at 24) and still see a lot of the new eye candy. ( I sure hope so, anyway). In any case, I'll play with settings and adjust them until I get the balance I want from the sim. And, believe it or not, I'll be happy once I play with and tweak the settings to suit me and my system, until such time as I choose to upgrade. I suspect most of you will do the same, and a few months after FSX becomes available will be extolling the virtues of the new version, especially as it is learned and new add ons become available for it.I'm excited! I think FSX will be a very significant step forward, I'm looking forward to (real soon I hope) more info on the game, more screenshots of planes, panels, scenery..... It's great that MS is appearing on the boards now, participating in feedback with us, providing us with as much info as they are allowed to do, and keeping us informed on FSX's status as it progresses. Because of some family health issues and a plant closure I'm going through requiring me to work more often I haven't had as much time to "fly" as I used to or would like, but that will change later this year and with FSX on the horizon I am very excited about it.Mike, Jason, thanks again for your info and for being here at Avsim. As for this long post, thanks for listening to my thoughts. I've had every version of FS since FS2, and loved every one of them. If you love flying and aircraft, how could you not? For $40, $50 maybe $60, plus a few add ons if you want them, you get the opportunity to "fly" in the safety and comfort of your home and enjoy a tremendously satisfying hobby. It's quite a bargain, and this new version won't be any different. From what I've seen so far, it will be the best one yet, and I can't wait!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

"With each new version the naysayers come out with their rantings and ravings about how the new version is no better than the last"And right next to those naysayers, a second section of naysayers, calling the first section whiners.And one more section over, yet another group, suggesting that nobody should even speculate - why not be happy with what you have?Further on, the group who would be satisfied if the game simply consisted of a 737, some heavy traffic, some weather, and the runways at all the large airports... everything else is unnecessary.Fact is, as you suggest, each version seems to actually end up being, indeed, something for everyone.:)Andrew