Sign in to follow this  
FlyingsCool

Where's the beef?

Guest sssummer

So, since we have heard alot about the video trailer that was being put together for E3, and now it's the last day of the event, let's see it! The silence is deafening. Three days of a couple of screen shoots, a 15 second video, and a few missions, and lots of us getting in an uproar about nothing. Please tell us about what we really want to know-NEW FEATURES. If you can't yet, then give us some video please so we can get all worked up in a frenzy of speculation. At least that's fun. :)Brian S.

Guest tdragger

Well, I just exchanged email with our PR team. The trailer video *was* handed out on CD at the press breifings so the major web sites have it in hand. I believe it's also been playing on the big screen in our booth on a loop with the other game videos. Maybe no one has noticed yet. ???

Guest sssummer

Thanks TDragger and TCable for the response.

Guest JSPuonti

Thanks tcable!Anyone else notice how the sun blooms through clouds? Neeaat.

The one thing that I was kind of disappointed about was the only view of aiport terrain @ 1:02 and 1:11 it looks like the terrain/3d modeling of airports hasn't changed: still looks like flattened terrain with 4.8m texture and 3d object runway/taxiway layered above. Meaning that we are still going to have the problems of creating good ground textures and the plateau effect from the flattens. I hope I'm wrong about this. At least if there are tools that can be applied to airport scenery in a more unified fashion than we have today, even if most of the default airports aren't modeled with them.scott s..

>Meaning that we are still going>to have the problems of creating good ground textures and the>plateau effect from the flattens. I hope I'm wrong about>this. Scott there was a discussion about this some time ago; the discussion centered around the difficulty in modelling the sloping runway at every airport in the FS world; and the notorius inaccuracies in the public info of elevation that is put into the sim (such as from AirNav). Hence the flatten. Not the best solution but it's what we have at this time.Rhett

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>>Meaning that we are still going>>to have the problems of creating good ground textures and>the>>plateau effect from the flattens. I hope I'm wrong about>>this. >>Scott there was a discussion about this some time ago; the>discussion centered around the difficulty in modelling the>sloping runway at every airport in the FS world; and the>notorius inaccuracies in the public info of elevation that is>put into the sim (such as from AirNav). Hence the flatten. >Not the best solution but it's what we have at this time.>>>RhettI think you might be referring to my thread herehttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchand here is a response from Mike Gilberthttp://blogs.msdn.com/tdragger/articles/490739.aspx

I've found that often by judicious changes to the altitude of airports and resizing of the flattens, the plateau effect can be minimized, at least for small airports. Of course the problem is you have to bend over backwards to actually change the height of an airport and remove the default flattens. I hope they've added the ability to negate the default flattens and airport altitudes more easily in FSX so that developers can redo airports without having to modify the default code.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com/FC_StartJava.html] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg