Sign in to follow this  
GerardW

Upgrade advice P3DV4

Hello everybody,

Altough i'm more than 20 years into flight simming, i've never had a question to post. Thanks to this community every question i've ever had, has been solved by Avsim.

But now i need your advice! I ( think I ) have a pretty good system to run P3DV4 but since I've had some scenery updates P3DV4 is not working so fluently any more, I have stutters ( not all the time - but sometimes also when flying ).

So I was wondering if I could upgrade my system a little bit. I would appreciate your advice for better performance. My question is, should I buy more memory or should I go for a new graphics card? Or is this all a waste of money and do you advice me to save some money for a new system?

So my specs:

- Windows 8.1
- AMD Athlon(tm) X4 860K Quad Core Processor 3,70 GHz
- 8 GB internal memory
- NVidia GeForce GTX 960

Looking forward for your comments!

Thanks in advance!

Gerard
Antwerp - Belgium

11 minutes ago, Arthur42417 said:

save some money for a new system👍

Agreed.  There is very little you'll be able to do with your current system, and as time marches forward you'll benefit greatly from a new system.  This time i recommend you go with INTEL and stay with NVIDIA.  AMD has made some nice changes, but INTEL and NVIDIA is king for flight sim.

Best wishes!

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Cpu looks a little dated. AMD have a new range of processors coming out in a couple months! Rumours are that it will be very good, but rumours are rumours! Failing that a decent i7 intel processor 8700k or newer would be a very good upgrade to what you have. 

You’ll want at least 16gb of FAST RAM so at least 3200 CAS 14 would be ideal. I would get 32GB personally. 

For graphics card you’ll probably want to get one at least 8gb of vram. Nvidia is probably the way to go for p3d.

IMO. 

Edited by djbully

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

I'm doing just fine on my AMD 2700x in p3d with lots of addons. And AMDs suffer less of a performance hit from the Spectre/Meltdown fixes, which is nice if your sim computer is used for other stuff as well.

Personally, I go with whichever brand's fastest chip is cheapest in a chip/mobo/heatsink package at the time I buy.