Sign in to follow this  
Bman2006

Return to the Sim

Hey all-

I am returning to the simulator after a few years hiatus.  I am wrapping up my real world instrument ticket and want to work through some more complex approaches before I take my checkride.    With that, I have a few fundamental questions about my sim setup.   Early last spring I installed v4.2 after a long break.  This was a fresh install along with all ORBX products and my favorite GA planes.  I see now that P3D is on v4.5.

Is it a safe move to do the component upgrade versus the full uninstall of everything and reinstall?  I have reviewed the component upgrade thread and it looks easy enough but I wasn't sure if going from 4.2 to 4.5 would be ok.   I don't mind either way really, one is just way faster than the other.

Also,  does anyone still tweak their .cgs file or is that a thing of the past? I am running 6700k, 32 gb, gtx 1070.  Nothing amazing but steady enough.

Thanks for the quick input.

Benjamin

Benjamin Van Eps

I personally would do a full, clean install to have everything current.  Won't take that much more time.  Tweaks are pretty much a thing of the past... guess it depends if you are a tweaker or not. 

I would also check out the FlightSim Expo videos on YouTube to help catch you up on the latest/greatest in the FS world.  

Welcome back,

Clutch

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Hi, Benjamin! There has been no development in the flight simulator world in recent years. Instead, there has been a decline in development. You can still use an IBM Computer model 5150 with good performance results in your sim. Nice to have you back in the amazing simulation-world again!

IBM_PC_5150.jpg

But if you want a modern computer for P3D use I will recommend this one

eZL84XX0z99zYEMJcaJN_XRGw264NqsChYmm0KlZ

Edited by Wennerholm