Sign in to follow this  
RobbieHe

Two simple but much needed improvements

Guest BlueRidgeDx

>Details, please? ;)Hi Mike,I have a couple:1) Make the window bigger...a lot bigger. (I think you or Jason posted that this might already be in the works)2) Let me type in my route such as KATL.NUGGET1.RAFTN..FLM.KEKEE3.KDAY and/or;3) Let me choose each point in sequence through a menu box. Once I choose a waypoint, present me with a list of airways that I can join via that waypoint. I'll take a screen grab of the flight planning software I use at work tommorow...that should illustrate what I mean.4) Give me a weather overlay (NEXRAD radar type). I think this would be more useful than the current "Prog Chart" type. Maybe loop the last 2 hours of data (if available). This could be "Real Weather" or FS generated dynamic weather.4a) Give me a wind overlay. Ideally the data should be displayed as wind barbs. When hovering over a particular barb, show a tool tip with wind direction (true), speed, and temperature. 4b) Give me a dropdown box that lets me choose what flight level I want to display the wind data for.5) Let me see METARs and TAFs when I click on an airport (Again, real or FS generated as applicable).Just my two cents...Thanks for looking!Nick

About the main problems I've with it are the rather weird way it determines long overwater routes (choosing the next closest waypoint at all times it seems, even if it runs in the opposite direction from the shortest path, this leads to transatlantic routes to go through Siberia at times), and the inability to insert GPS fixes into the flightplan (say click on the map and get an option to insert a GPS fix).First could likely be solved by setting a maximum deviation from the direct path to look for waypoints (and ignoring the absense of them if there are none within X miles, instead trying again further along), or by inserting navigation fixes over the oceans (as are present on transoceanic plotting charts).Second would be (as some people call it) a "simple" addition ;) but might be harder to implement (I don't of course know the internals of the flight planner).When dragging the purple line somewhere that's not on a waypoint/navaid/whatever a popup could be presented asking the user whether he wants to insert a GPS fix at that location.Having a larger window would also be handy, but I think you mentioned that will be the case already in an earlier thread.

In terms of the flight planner, it would be great if we had the ability to plan a flight in FSX from, say, ATL to LGW, using high altitude airways without having to go through Alaska first. Flight planning to many international destinations is problematic in FS2004. Is that issue delat with in FSX?Thanks very much in advance!RH