Sign in to follow this  
Guest lemonadedrinker

Next Generation Avionics in FSX?

Guest davidvoogd

I wonder if we'll see the new generation of Avionics appear in FSX. One thing that many seem to forget is the utterly massive leap we had in the GPS technology from FS2002 to 2004. I mean compare the Garmin 500 to the GPS thing in FS2002, that was a huge difference, and the new GPS's were a great addition to FS2004 IMO.Anyways I'm wondering if we will see a Garmin 1000 or Avidyne Entegra, Chelton or other advanced avionics setups in FSX. These are all the buzz in real world aviation lately so it would be great to see them included into FSX itself. Of course some of them do appear in addon aircraft for FS2004 already but it would be great to have for example, a Mooney Ovation with a Garmin 1000 panel right out of the box.

I suspect it would be impossible to simulate G1000 (at least to degree of fidelity expected by most hard core simmers here) without Garmin being very forthcoming with assistance in terms of software an general support. Reality-XP could only gives us realistic GNS530 because they were able to utilize Garmin's own trainer. The same applies to Chelton and others. Sure there is Chelton already included with some Flight1 aircraft (I think it is freeware) but this is not the type of Chelton simulation I would eventually want to see. So if you mean a really dumb-down version of G1000 (or Chelton or Avidyne) the answer maybe yes, otherwise I would not count on it.Considering how innaccurate and simplistic glass avionics are in the current 'box' of FS - I don't think there would be any interest on part of MS to deliver a realistic G1000 cockpit. For them it is simply wrong market. An average FS buyer would not only not appreciate it - he/she would be utterly frustrated by it.Having said that it is something for Dreamfleet folks to really think about. If they teamed up with Garmin and Raytheon and gave us say a very nice Bonanza G36 (the latest issue of FLYING) which features the latest and greatest G1000 with its own digital autopilot and flight director - that would indeed be a 'dream' project. I would gladly part with $200 to have it done well.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

BTW, I just checked with Garmin website and they do offer PC-based simulation of their G1000 for sale (the price is very reasonable!). So the goal all of a sudden is within reach. So to honorable Dreamfleet executives .. I am already salivating, whatever the price, bring it on .. :-lolMichael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

>BTW, I just checked with Garmin website and they do offer>PC-based simulation of their G1000 for sale (the price is very>reasonable!). So the goal all of a sudden is within reach. So>to honorable Dreamfleet executives .. I am already salivating,>whatever the price, bring it on .. :-lolI've had the G1000 trainer since I picked up the CD at Oshkosh last year... and it was free then. What you pay for is the shipping, the CD is free.Frankly, I was somewhat disappointed in the G1000 Trainer, since they did not code it to be resized. I have to set my monitor's resolution to 1280x960 just to get the thing completely on my screen. On one machine it won't run at all, but constantly recycles through the startup routine.We will probably get a G1000 in FSX, but it will be XML based and just as limited as the G500 in terms of GPS ability. In short, it would be a "wannabe" and not a faithful replica of the real deal.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest rmaan89

I've been a flight simmer for many years now, and I think the first major thing I noticed about FS9 WAS the GPS unit, it may not have been modeled to the degree of accuracy that most hard-core simmers may want it to have been but it was pretty d**n close! However, the only thing I've missed from FS all these years has been WEATHER RADAR!! There have been a couple of payware weather radars but nothing has ever caught my attention. I would have thought that when they made the GPS unit in FS9 that they would have incorporated a weather radar with it? It can't be that hard to add one can it? If the Garmin/ GPS unit is updated in FSX I would be thrilled to see a weather radar functionality. Well those are my views, does anyone else think along the same lines? Comments?Arman MotiwallaMET-MECEO

Guest Dan G Martin

Well Bill feel up to it LOL (you of all people would know how much work would be needed to pull that off). Cheers Dan

Guest garwig2

>the only thing I've missed from FS all>these years has been WEATHER RADAR!! There have been a couple>of payware weather radars but nothing has ever caught my>attention.I agree, weather radar would be a great addition to the airliners, even if it's a separate gauge from the GPS. Of course, then we would need ATC to allow us to vary our course around the weather.

Guest rmaan89

Yeah lol, not just for the airliners but even for GA aircraft, the piper meridian etc all started using weather radar and with Cessna now offering full glass cockpits, weatehr radar for GA is very widely used and less expensive than before. It would just help enhance the realism in fsx.Arman

I'd rather see more emphasis on real flying rather than punching in a route in the flightplanner and pressing a "fly me now" button, then sitting back to watch the video.

>weatehr radar for GA is very widely used and less expensive>than before. It would just help enhance the realism in fsx.You are confusing on-board wether radar (very few small GA have them) with weather uplinked to the glass cockpit (like G1000). Two completely different things.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

Guest davidvoogd

I'm not sure why people are so critical of the Garmin 500 simulated in FS2004. I have actually played around with the real unit in an avionics shop, and asside from not being able to manually enter a flightplan I don't think there are that many differences, and again, compare it to the FS2002 GPS!

simple: it's Microsoft so it must be bad.I sense that attitude everywhere, especially among the younger generation of kids growing up with constant "Microsoft is evil" being shouted at them from left and right.

>to manually enter a flightplan I don't think there are that>many differences, and again, compare it to the FS2002 GPS!Really, you did not see much difference, things so crucial like CDI sensing (could not see it in a shop) which makes it useless for GPS approaches, or you even missed such obvious items like completely different screen graphics? Amazing. *:-*Are you really Dreamfleet's betatester?Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

>Really, you did not see much difference, things so crucial>like CDI sensing (could not see it in a shop) which makes it>useless for GPS approaches, Where did you come up with this misinformation?"The default NAV page displays a graphic course deviation indicator (CDI) across the top of the page. Unlike the angular limits used on a mechanical CID coupled to a VOR or ILS receiver, full scale limits for this CDI are defined by a GPS-derived distance ranging from 1.0 to 5.0 nm as indicated at both ends of the CDI. By default, the CDI scale will automatically adjust to the desired limits based upon the current phase of flight: en route, terminal area or approach.""Within 30 nm of the airport, the GPS will switch from enroute mode to terminal mode, and the CDI scale will transition from 5.0 to 1.0 nm, full scale deflection." "Within 10 nm of the airport, the GPS will switch from terminal mode to approach mode. CDI scaling will be tightened from 1.0 to 0.3 nautical mile, full scale deflection."It's incorrect statements like your's that has convinced me that 99% of all flightsimmers haven't taken the time to actually read the G500 manual, and... like Jerome said above, dismiss it ahead of time simply because "Microsoft made it, so it can't possibly be any good!" :-roll

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator