Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Inbound to Reno-Tahoe Intl

In real life, between 1983 and 1995, I flew in and out of this airport many times, such a nice small airport, which I once even flew out of right after a heavy snowfall of a couple of feet, a winter wonderland it was.  During heavy winters, when my parents or I drove up there, either together or when I was alone, the snow piled on I-80 in the last 30 miles before Donner Summit gave an eerie effect of being in a snow tunnel, with 20-30 feet of snowpack piled high on either side of I-80.  It was quite a site to behold. 

The lakes nearby, around Truckee, would be like scenes from Dr. Zhivago and my brother and I would walk on the heavily frozen surface when I drove to visit him, playing fetch with his kleptomaniac dog Zack, who'd steal his neighbor's shoes, clothing, sometimes tools or anything else they left in their open garages and bring them home to my brother and his wife.  Even worse, Zack's tail was coffee table height and when he'd get excited or happy to see me or my brother, his wagging tail would sweep everything off the coffee table. 

When I drove Zack to Boca lake between Reno and Truckee one winter on an outing with my brother, Zack would stick his head out of my Nissan Sentra Wagon's back seat and cause a "helicopter wind effect", quite annoying, so my brother, pretending to be stern, would say "ZACK' and Zack would move his head in for a bit, then start again.  My brother, the main reason I flew to Reno so often and was married there, like my older brother, passed in '92 and my oldest brother in '2009.  But I still celebrate the memory of my flights and visits to Reno, including seeing Tour De France winner Greg Lemond in the Coors Classic the year he won his first Tour De France, as they did a time trial in Reno. 

I also saw him come thru the Napa Valley where I lived a day earlier, as they were doing a 100 mile ride from the California Coast into the Central valley on their way to Reno.  Planes, Trains and automobiles also must include mention of bicycles, and one is used in a cameo by Kevin Bacon in that funny movie, which was a prophecy of my days as a business systems instructor and traveling implementation lead....

John

bfDf6Fd.jpg
5ihT9jg.jpg
KrZrNqA.jpg
65Fuiwk.jpg
RO9h3r7.jpg
kEGaDEE.jpg
kUZRm1x.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting details....Donner Summit and Dr. Zhivago...Have read the (tragic) story of Donner Party and seen (at least) a couple of times Doctor Zhivago...

BTW, looks like you've now got quite a few states on MSE V3...I don't own this one (Nevada)...maybe I should...

Nice pictures...!

• Like 1

All the western states are nice, I have some on the east coast too, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia, which you can see in my most recent "sightseeing" post.  I may get more, I would like to get Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York and Mass to get my "BosWash" megalopolis coverage complete (I already have CONN, where my father once live and cousins still do).

John