Sign in to follow this  
richjb2

Computer Upgrade Questions

Greetings AVSIM,

I am current running a i7 2600K 3.4G Sandy Bridge with 16GB RAM and a GTX 960 card, all tied together with an ASUS P8Z68 MB in a Cool Master HAF 932Case.  I have all new (within the last year) SSD drives for storage.  These I will keep.  The system is old and for P3DV4, I can get around 20 FPS, a little more here, a little less there, with PMDG products, OBIX (not SoCal or NorCal).  I built this system in 2011 with an eye towards longevity, and it served me well.  But it's getting time to upgrade

With that same eye to longevity, I am thinking about the Intel i9 9900K.  That CPU and MB will be the foundation for my computer for many years.  GPU cards, I can upgrade those.  With that in mind, I have a few questions to the forum:

1.  For an i9 9900K, what MB would you recommend?   It has to support 4 or more SSD drives, Bluetooth would be nice, and CD ROM-DVD drive.  Yes, still have one of those with a need for it. Any brand of MB to shy away from or to gravitate towards for this processor?  

2. What video card would you recommend?  No, a 1080ti or 2080ti are not the list.  Can't afford it and the new system.  Something that powerful (or its future version) I might consider for the mid-life upgrade but not right now. What is a good card in the $300-$600 price range. 

3. Case:  Can I use my current case or do I need a new one? 

4. Air cooled or water cooled? I have read the most recent posts and viewed the video on the thread "Why you shouldn't water cool".  I am a little skittish about water cooling given my computer tends to run unattended a lot.  The Noctua NH-D14 has served my MB and CPU well.  But I'm open to alternatives. 

5. Alternatives to the i9 9900K?  My goal to match the longevity that I have had with my current build.  Is there an alternative that match the longevity for the future?

Thanks everyone!

Rich Boll

Wichita, KS 

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

I would suggest a more balanced approach. For flight-simming, the 9700k is as good as the 9900k. With the money saved, perhaps you could get a better GPU?

As for cooling, I also had a Noctua and recently went with a watercooler and am not disappointed due to its performance and much smaller footprint. 

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

4 hours ago, GCBraun said:

For flight-simming, the 9700k is as good as the 9900k.

I would even suggest the 9700 KF, as we have no need for the integrated graphics !

Same caracteristics of the CPU part and a little more savings for other "investments" 😉

Gérard

3 hours ago, gaab said:

I would even suggest the 9700 KF, as we have no need for the integrated graphics !

Same caracteristics of the CPU part and a little more savings for other "investments" 😉

Gérard

In Germany the KF is generally more expensive than the 9700k! Either the sellers are stupid or they think their costumers are. 🙂

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

In France, I found it at an interesting price last week, but today they are at the same price 😞
Question of availability, probably...

Will wait few weeks more 😉

On 7/22/2019 at 5:58 AM, gaab said:

Gérard

Is that the difference between the "K" and "KF"?

Thanks,

Rich 

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

1 hour ago, richjb2 said:

Is that the difference between the "K" and "KF"?

Thanks,

Rich 

Yes and there's another one to come possibly October the KS 5ghz on all cores.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg