Sign in to follow this  
disco79stu

Brake ccheck

When I call for "brake check" (button control) the PM responds with "pressure zero" immediatly, evem if I don't touch the brakes ...

Shouldn't he wait until I actually do a brake check? 

Regards

Stu

25 minutes ago, byork said:

He assumes you're pressing the brake while announcing "brake check".

You wouldn't say "Brake Check", and then wait 20 seconds before pressing the brakes.

Actually you should announce 'brakes check' immediately before lighty!! applying the brakes, since you don't want to surprise your FO.

Edited by FDEdev

3 hours ago, FDEdev said:

Actually you should announce 'brakes check' immediately before lighty!! applying the brakes, since you don't want to surprise your FO.

That I understand, I‘m just curious why the PM doesn‘t wait for me to use/test the brakes. He‘s relying instantly.

It‘s kinda exactly my point, I announce it and the PM reacts without me doing something. I get that he might not be able to actually check the bake pressure but maybe you could make him wait 2 seconds for me to actually do something. 🙂 

Edited by disco79stu

21 hours ago, disco79stu said:

I get that he might not be able to actually check the bake pressure but maybe you could make him wait 2 seconds for me to actually do something. 

What I don't understand is what the brake pressure gauge has to do with it. The indicator shows the pressure for the yellow system (parking) brakes.

The normal brakes are powered by the green system. Applying brakes during taxiing doesn't cause any movement on the pressure gauge IRL.

25 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

What I don't understand is what the brake pressure gauge has to do with it. The indicator shows the pressure for the yellow system (parking) brakes.

The normal brakes are powered by the green system. Applying brakes during taxiing doesn't cause any movement on the pressure gauge IRL.

You're making sure the brakes have indeed reverted to the Green system from the Yellow system.

Such things can only happen in an Airbus 😉  We never did a brakes check in e.g. the 767.

I remember when I once parked my A321 (in a tight parking spot of course with close obstacles ahead), set the parking brake and suddenly the A321 started rolling again, despite the set parking brake!

Never thought that this would be possible, since on some planes the parking brake can/should be used as a last resort emergency brake.