Hello All,

Finally about to replace my GTX1070 with an ASUS 2080 Super or ASUS 2080Ti. Can anyone tell me if the extra 3 Gig of video RAM in the 2080Ti is of any use in P3D4. My preference is for the 2080 Super given that all suppliers seem to have put the price of the Ti up significantly overnight. (From 1900 Australian dollars up to around 2400). Not sure if the latest batch are different in some way but this is a big increase. This increase is also evident on Ebay. Does anyone know of the reason for this increase? (and no I am not talking about the 2080 Matrix which is pushing double the price).

Regards,

Steve.

11 minutes ago, shally17 said:

Can anyone tell me if the extra 3 Gig of video RAM in the 2080Ti is of any use in P3D4.

Depends on a number of factors, the most important being the resolution of your monitor(s) (display settings, addons, etc. play a role as well).  If your monitor is 4K then you might be able to make use of the 11GB of VRAM.  I run a 2K monitor with my 1080, most P3Dv4 graphics settings are full right with my overclocked 8086K, and I rarely see anything in my ORBX world (including SoCal) that exceeds 5 GB of VRAM usage.

HTH,

Greg

As the previous poster said, resolution is key here. If you are @ 1080, the 2080 will be fine. I am running a 38" monitor which is basically a 43" 4k monitor cut in half horizontally, and with fairly high settings I run around 6g normally but landing @ Chicago's KORD w/DD and ORBX scenery I will max out my card ~7.9g Vram usage.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

I recently bought a new 2070-Super because the price was the same as second hand 1080TI with similar performance BUT... I found out that all the cards with 8Gb memory are falling apart when using my 4K HP Reverb VR set. Lucky I collected a second hand Titan X with 12Gb because even flying a masterpiece written software for VR and high performance systems (Aerofly) was asking for 9Gb memory in The Netherlands ORBX True earth software in the Amsterdam EHAM area. My new 2070 was falling back from a steady 90fps to 30 with a lot of stutters (Adding RAM via the RAMDISK) and the Titan give me a smooth landing... So... everything above 8gb is 1080ti, Titan X or 2080ti

Happy landings