Sign in to follow this  
Colonel X

Any free orthos for Germany?

Does anyone know a source of free orthos for Germany? Sort of what Forkboy did for the US. I know I could create them myself, but I'm not in the mood for that.

-

Currently giving X-Plane 12.10 a spin on Shadow PC. 10 years with X-Plane now, since 10.20

These don't come with autogen overlay, do they?

-

Currently giving X-Plane 12.10 a spin on Shadow PC. 10 years with X-Plane now, since 10.20

You may want to try:

https://italyphotoreal.weebly.com/download.html

(yes there are tiles for Germany included). I am pretty sure that's all what is available. Caveat: I just know the link but never tried it myself.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I can't even find a payware scenery. What a shame, considering Germany is the #3 nation in flight simulation by the numbers. Aerosoft is really a lazy bunch, they had a full Germany ortho scenery for FSX 10 years ago. What's so hard about it, come on.

• Like 1

-

I bought Megascenery Earth Germany years ago which I think is still available. This was one of the worst sceneries I ever bought, and I can only warn. It's full of clouds, color mismatching and more flaws and left my HD immediately after a test flight. And of course it comes without any Autogen or Landmarks.

ORBX' JV once said they will work on a TrueEarth Germany when returning to Europe, which certainly would be great. However, this will most probably be for XP only for some time and given a lot of what he says never materializes, I don't believe in this until I can buy it.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Yeah I never thought I'd say this, but it seems ORBX is the only hope for a good scenery here. Sort of the same thing they did for the UK, probably split in 4 parts. It's a much bigger job compared to the UK, not only because it's larger but also much more diverse. 

I also remember Mega Scenery, it was notoriously bad. 

-

23 hours ago, Colonel X said:

What's so hard about it, come on.

Licensing.

Try to find a good, consistent image provider that'll allow redistribution.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

On 8/29/2019 at 11:39 AM, pmb said:

ORBX' JV once said they will work on a TrueEarth Germany when returning to Europe, which certainly would be great. However, this will most probably be for XP only for some time and given a lot of what he says never materializes, I don't believe in this until I can buy it.

A “lot” of what he says never materialises? Do you have examples of that? I’d say Orbx is the one company who consistently shares a roadmap each year where most of what is shared is eventually released. They may not do it within the year ahead but I can’t think of anything apart from openLC Africa/Asia and Cote d’zure that has suffered major delays.

4 hours ago, fta2017 said:

A “lot” of what he says never materialises? Do you have examples of that? I’d say Orbx is the one company who consistently shares a roadmap each year where most of what is shared is eventually released. They may not do it within the year ahead but I can’t think of anything apart from openLC Africa/Asia and Cote d’zure that has suffered major delays.

I am not going to make a list, but the OpenLC deadlines and orders have been postponed over and over. Add the "we'll add X-Plane scenery to our product range" to be turned into "we'll not add X-Plane scenery to our product range" a few months later to be turned into "we'll add X-Plane scenery to our product range" again a few more months later. He also projected a landclass-based FTX Italy (I'll find the reference if you really want me to) once which no one even recalls these days. And so on.

Kind regards, Michael

Ok so he changed his mind about X-Plane twice and you say “a lot of what he says never materialises?”. They are perhaps now the most prolific producer of X-Plane products in the world so how is this a bad thing?

JV has never promised Italy at all. It’s never been in a roadmap or announced. I know the post you are referring where he said ‘I’d love to do Italy one day’. I think he’s mentioned it a few times. That is not a promise to deliver a product though.

So before you go shooting your mouth off and effectively accusing him of not delivering on what he says, actually have a think about facts before typing nonsense. You seem chummy with him over in the Orbx forums so I’m not sure he would be pleased to hear you slagging him off over here.

Hi Colonel, 

what about to share / exchange some orthos? 
I came across this thread when I was looking for additional tiles for Germany (in particular Berlin), as I am not in the mood either to create more myself. I can share Munich area, central Alps, Bremen tile. 

I used to fly with Vanilla XP as I have a 3 projector homecockpit and want ultimate stability and fps; my experience with amateur scenery add-ons was poor.
Now I bought some commercial airports and love them: Corfu, Bremen, Salzburg, Tenerife etc. Last night I immediately bought Tegel when that appeared from Gaya. Now I need the tile for Berlin :-) 

Stephan 

Hi Stephan, I never started creating tiles, so I can't help out here. As a matter of fact, I am no longer an X-Plane user for the time being.

-