Sign in to follow this  
oldngray

FSX addon Scenery - order of installation

Had all kinds of problems with my previous installation of FSX on Win 7 Pro..  Finally purchased another SSD and Windows 10 Home and Pro. (didn't realize I purchased both). Installed Home and did a clean install of FSX Deluxe plus Acceleration. Does it matter what order I install all of my addon Scenery?  I have;

FSG North America US East and West, Canada and Mexico, and World

American Data Roads, Streams, Rails Utilities

FS Pilot Shop JFD-390, MSE 160-1 thru7, FSG115, 320-1,2 & 3, AKHI, & FSGATAP_US_HI

GE Pro

FTX_AU, NA, OLC, Global Base,OPen NA, Buildings, Trees, Southern Alaska, PAEN, PAHO, PAJN, PAKT, PAVD & PAYA.

Windows 10 64, ASUS Z590 MB, i5-11600K 4.9 ghz, Samsung 870 1TB, 860 500gb,hynix Gold 1TB SSD's, Corsair LPX 32gb (2x16) DDR4 Memory, EVGA GTX 1070ti, Viewsonic 32" 

18 hours ago, oldngray said:

Does it matter what order I install all of my addon Scenery?

It should not really matter what order you install your addon scenery but what is important is the order of addon scenery in the scenery library. A good general rule is place the detailed scenery (airports etc) higher in the scenery library than less detailed scenery such as regional scenery, etc.

My scenery library basically has the various object libraries at the top, then airport scenery, city scenery, regional scenery, Orbx scenery, UTX scenery and finally the default FSX scenery entries. The order of my Orbx products in the scenery library is determined by FTX Central which I am still using, although I assume the new Orbx Central performs the same function.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Thank you so much.  Helps a lot.

Windows 10 64, ASUS Z590 MB, i5-11600K 4.9 ghz, Samsung 870 1TB, 860 500gb,hynix Gold 1TB SSD's, Corsair LPX 32gb (2x16) DDR4 Memory, EVGA GTX 1070ti, Viewsonic 32" 

22 hours ago, oldngray said:

GE Pro

Global Base

GE Pro (Ground Environment Pro) is for FS9 so don’t install it. Even if you could use it in FSX you wouldn’t want to installed if I’d your using ORBX Global Base.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Yes, I did not intend to reinstall GE Pro, also not sure about the value of the FSG products. Presently installing the ORBX products and looking at Ultimate Terrain. 

I only use the vector data from Ultimate Terrain and I deactivate the UTX landclass entries when I am using it with Orbx scenery. Your other option would be to use Orbx Vector but I have no experience of this because, as I already owned UTX when the Orbx scenery appeared, I decided to use the vector data from this instead.

Bill

Edited by scianoir

Why do you not use the UTX?  I loaded Ultimate Terrain V2 last night as it seems the majority of the threads I read preferred it over ORBX Vector.

I am still involved with installing this new OS and Hardware so I have no experience with it yet.  

3 minutes ago, oldngray said:

Why do you not use the UTX?  I loaded Ultimate Terrain V2 last night as it seems the majority of the threads I read preferred it over ORBX Vector.

You may have misunderstood what I was saying, as I do use UTX vector data, as I already had UTX long before Orbx Vector ever appeared so I never purchased the latter. I do not however use UTX landclass data with Orbx regional scenery areas as the use of two sets of landclass data could cause conflicts. As you say many prefer UTX vector data over Orbx Vector and indeed Orbx Vector when it was first released had quite a few problems which put me off buying it anyway!

Bill

Got it. Thanks for your comments.

• Upvote 1