Sign in to follow this  
Tony C

Clear the Scenery Index?

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the meaning of this but every time I make a change such as add a new scenery a box comes up when I choose SAVE that asks "Do you want to clear  the scenery index".

I have assumed from that it means clear all the scenery? If so why would I want to do that every time I make a change?

301200 - Global + Vector, 303039 - Open LC EU + England, 317055 - Scotland, 325640 - Southampton, 345294 - Wales, 350530 - Ireland, 378458 - Norway, 379681 - Sumburgh, 406229 - Open LC North America, Alaska and Canada, 439617 - Australia SP4, 447800 - NZ North Island, 447804 - NZ South Island

2 hours ago, Tony C said:

I have assumed from that it means clear all the scenery?

No! This has nothing to do with the scenery areas.

The simulator creates an internal index database of all scenery assets. You can take a look at that database using the "Create Scenery Index Report" button on the "Tools" tab in P4AO. You will find the database files here: C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\SceneryIndexes_x64. The simulator rebuilds it automatically every time a change is detected: when you start the sim after a scenery change, you get the message "creating scenery index..." with a progress bar - when you see this, the simulator is rebuilding this index database. Technically speaking, the scenery.cfg and add-on.xml files are only suggestions of what the sim should load. Only the index database shows what it will load and in what order.

The message that you are seeing when you close P4AO is just an offer - you can delete the index database, thus forcing the simulator to build a new one, or rely on the sim to detect it on its own. Deleting it now makes sure that all changes that you made are really active in the sim. You can change this behavior of P4AO on the "Settings" tab, section "Clearing the scenery index".

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 3

LORBY-SI

Thanks for the explanation. I am presuming it is why every time I put the scenery in the correct order, run the sim then open the organiser and they are all changed around again with many sceneries put below the FTX sceneries when I placed them above?

301200 - Global + Vector, 303039 - Open LC EU + England, 317055 - Scotland, 325640 - Southampton, 345294 - Wales, 350530 - Ireland, 378458 - Norway, 379681 - Sumburgh, 406229 - Open LC North America, Alaska and Canada, 439617 - Australia SP4, 447800 - NZ North Island, 447804 - NZ South Island

1 hour ago, Tony C said:

I am presuming it is why every time I put the scenery in the correct order, run the sim then open the organiser and they are all changed around again with many sceneries put below the FTX sceneries when I placed them above?

No. As I said, the Index has nothing whatsoever to do with the scenery areas or their layering. That is what the config files are for.

FTX/ORBX Central are changing the layering though, every time that you open them. If you are using ORBX Central, then all bets are off. I usually advise against using P4AO together with the new ORBX client, because results can no longer be predicted.

Best regards

LORBY-SI

I'm just finding this out. Any alternatives to your manager that you could recommend?

On 9/26/2019 at 2:26 PM, Lorby_SI said:

I usually advise against using P4AO together with the new ORBX client, because results can no longer be predicted.

2 hours ago, newtie said:

I'm just finding this out. Any alternatives to your manager that you could recommend?

Sorry, no idea. The moment you create an external ORBX Library, IMHO no other scenery management tool stands much of a chance, unless re-programmed to suit specifically what ORBX does.

Personally I don't have issues using ORBX and P4AO together. I only open Central when I absolutely have to. Afterwards I put things in order again in P4AO and leave it at that. The ORBX/FTX management tools always shuffled scenery around, in the scenery.cfg too. So it wasn't unexpected that this is still the case. 

Best regards

LORBY-SI