Sign in to follow this  
C2615

Q: How to implant and fine tune rotary acceleration?

I had a home made MCP with Rotary encoder as 2 button for flight, But with most LINDA module I've used (QW787\AS320), to set a HDG say some 100 away is painful.

In real aircraft, the MCP knobs will auto accelerate, allow much quicker setting when you rotate the knob fast, While PMDG did that inside their portion(I conncted PMDG with FSUIPC control so no LINDA invoved), they are tuned as real aircraft use a 36click pre loop encoder, while mine only had 20clicks per loop, so it's still need some fine tune.

Meanwhile, the FS/P3D's  own "acceleration" could stuck you in interval 10 forever, or just jump to 10 way too fast even when using with mousewheel.

I really didn't know much about lua, is there someone could came up a genius code that could detect the speed of rotation and make the interval change accordingly, with parameters to fine tune with? Thanks!

Unfortunately, LINDA is not designed to work with rotary encoders as it needs discrete button-like actions (press/release) that can be detected by FSUIPC and passed to LINDA. The VRi MCP panels actually output a slow (+ or -) or fast (++ or --) signal that allows the _inc/_dec or _incfast/decfast functions to be actioned directly.

If you are detecting clicks/presses when the knob is rotated there may be a way of determining a single or multiple click to increase the rate of rotation. You would need to determine within the queue handler (in events.lua) whether you have a single click within a cycle or whether there are more than one click in the cycle and call the _inc or _incfast functions.

I hope this helps.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

Sorry this is late but here is what I programmed in the PMDG module for rotary speed. This is my heading rotary:

This is also assuming your rotary encoder is set up as a button press for increase and a button press for decrease.

Added Variables:

//////////////////////////////////////////////

local hdg_inc = 0
local hdg_dec = 0

functions:

//////////////////////////////////////

function HDG_INC()

HDG_INC_TIME = ipc.elapsedtime()
    if mcp_hdg_mode == 1 then

if (HDG_INC_TIME - hdg_inc) < 175 then
            local i
            for i = 1, 4 do ipc.control(PMDGBaseVar+390, PMDG_inc) end
         else
            ipc.control(PMDGBaseVar+390, PMDG_inc)
        end

else
        NGX_AP_BANK_inc()
     end

NGX_AP_HDG_show()
   hdg_inc = HDG_INC_TIME

end

function HDG_DEC()

HDG_DEC_TIME = ipc.elapsedtime()
    if mcp_hdg_mode == 1 then

if (HDG_DEC_TIME - hdg_dec) < 175 then
            local i
            for i = 1, 4 do ipc.control(PMDGBaseVar+390, PMDG_dec) end
        else
            ipc.control(PMDGBaseVar+390, PMDG_dec)
        end

else
        NGX_AP_BANK_dec()
    end

NGX_AP_HDG_show()
    hdg_dec = HDG_DEC_TIME

end

Hope this sends you in right direction,

Chris

Edited by Swamech
  • Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 12:42 PM, Swamech said:

Sorry this is late but here is what I programmed in the PMDG module for rotary speed. This is my heading rotary:

This is also assuming your rotary encoder is set up as a button press for increase and a button press for decrease.

///////////////////////

Hope this sends you in right direction,

Chris

So basicly the magic is " ipc.elapsedtime() ", am I right?

Thanks for the help

On 7/25/2020 at 8:50 PM, C2615 said:

So basicly the magic is " ipc.elapsedtime() ", am I right?

Thanks for the help

Yes, you rotary speed has to compare the turning speed to something. You can adjust that of course by adjusting the 175 in the line   if (HDG_INC_TIME - hdg_inc) < 175 then

And no problem!