Sign in to follow this  
nas123

AMD vs INTEL CPU and NVIDIA vs AMD GPU for MSFS

I do not argue with the last 2 inputs above. They are both meaningful and probably represent the fact of todays available program coding technologies.

But, that means at the same time that i.e. a 8 core CPU running at 5 - 5.2 GHz is going to be the most we would need forever. That is maybe true for the next few years.

I do not buy that completely though. There will always come newer, better and more efficient way of doing things, even with software development/coding technologies.

7 hours ago, goates said:

Why can't 9 women have one baby between them in one month?

Happens all the time where I live. DNA testers make a fortune around here.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nas123 said:

But, that means at the same time that i.e. a 8 core CPU running at 5 - 5.2 GHz is going to be the most we would need forever. That is maybe true for the next few years.

I do not buy that completely though. There will always come newer, better and more efficient way of doing things, even with software development/coding technologies.

Yes, there have been advancements in developing for multi-core systems over the years, and will likely be many more to come. On the other hand, there are some tasks that can't simply be broken down and split across multiple cores. There could well be a limit where more CPU cores really won't provide more benefit at all, but more GPU power will (graphics, physics processing or something else entirely). Most likely there is a better balance between the two than with current sims. Another potential issue is what happens if you design for 24 core CPUs, but most people only have 4, 6 or 8 cores? Can you squeeze everything back onto fewer cores easily? Scaling up or down isn't always straight forward either.

I'm sure Asobo is doing everything they can to use all the computing power modern PCs have available. At the end of the day I think the metric to be concerned about is whether the sim performs well or not, not how many cores it uses.

It will be interesting to see how the answer to this question shapes up, I suspect the status quo will be preserved but only time will tell.