LesOReilly

Using the Home Sim for IFR Flight Test Prep

In this video I go through a complete IFR Flight Test preparation Flight.  I am a big proponent of just how much one can learn and improve real world flying skills from your home simulator!!

You may not be able to Log it like you can with a Certified FTD but the time spent is extremely valuable!!!  This is left almost uncut for the most part to share the context of the benefits of having and using a home Simulator to supplement your training.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Les O'Reilly

Bravo! This is an excellent use of home hobby level desktop simulation to supplement proper flight training. The practice of procedures will help maximize the time spent in the real aircraft. For a long time we used to tell people to go home and chair fly something and this takes chair flying to a whole new level. As an instructor my suggestion is to make certain you inform your instructor this is what you are doing. A good instructor will be able to include home sim flying into your training program. 

• Upvote 1

Ken

Join Elite Air Taxi a free VA http://www.flyelite.net

5 hours ago, KenG said:

Bravo! This is an excellent use of home hobby level desktop simulation to supplement proper flight training. The practice of procedures will help maximize the time spent in the real aircraft. For a long time we used to tell people to go home and chair fly something and this takes chair flying to a whole new level. As an instructor my suggestion is to make certain you inform your instructor this is what you are doing. A good instructor will be able to include home sim flying into your training program. 

Thanks Ken. 

my instructor was aware of my home sim 🙂

The thing to avoid I have found is “short cutting” the procedure items. So when ever I would be focused on prepping for a lesson or a test I would always make sure to run a full “sim” perform all steps and all checklist items — including run up 🙂

Les O'Reilly