Sign in to follow this  
PorterT

Autopilot coupling

My Autopilot doesn't couple on the initial approach to the ILS runway. I always have to do a missed approach procedure. Would appreciate any information.. Thanks

WELCOME to AVSIM! 

A little bit more information is needed before other member can try and help solve the issue.

Which flight sim are you using?

What aircraft are you using? Does the failure happen with all the ILS capable planes, or one specific plane?

Does the failure happen at one particular airport or any airport with ILS?

Cheers.

• Like 2

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

...maybe Porter did one missed approach too many??...

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

19 hours ago, HighBypass said:

...maybe Porter did one missed approach too many??...

Nah!  Newbies tend to ask their question and then run and hide under their beds!:wacko:  At least, that's my theory.

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Sometimes it takes a lot of guts to post a topic on AVSIM.  If someone read some of the topics here and on other sites, you see many members who provide inappropriate responses and get upset because the member didn't provide everything needed to answer his question (I thought Mark's (HighByPass) response to the new member was appropriate except the name of the simulator is not needed. An airplane is an airplane that goes down the runway to depart and eventually land somewhere no matter what simulator.  The aircraft the OP is using is very important).  I have seen many are not very nice to new members and one of the reasons why Tom decided to set up this forum... to break the ice.  Back in the day, new members were posting the questions in the FSX Forum and some of our old-timers attacked the member immediately as the question had been asked 10 million times.  I remember my first topic on the Internet was on CompuServe and I asked a question and provided my e-mail address and maybe my telephone number (yes, we had telephones back in the 80's) as I was anxious to get my issue fixed.  Next thing I saw was a response from the "Webmaster".... Whoa!  The Webmaster!  A little intimidating. He would ask, "How many times do I have to tell you people not to post your e-mail address, your home address, and/or telephone number in these forums (or whatever was used by CompuServe back then)?  When are you going to get your act together?  It is really stupid to post personal information on the Internet!  Don't ever do it again".  Holy Mackerel. He sounded like he was mad!  I missed that rule.  I need to hide.  Like Charlie above, I wondered, "where's the bed".  I'm going to get off this site before he yells at me again!  I can't wait until one day I become a moderator or maybe even a Webmaster!  😎

The OP (original poster) is most likely using the default 737 or other aircraft that uses the NAV1 or NAV2 and you simply change the NAV1 frequency to the ILS frequency shown in the airport chart for that particular runway.  If the correct frequency is not in NAV1, then the aircraft cannot capture the ILS.  Having the frequency in NAV2 will not work.  It has to be moved over to the NAV1.  AP must be enabled.  If available, you can also enable the Approach mode by enabling APP.  Make sure the course or direction to the runway is set properly too.

@PorterTWelcome to AVSIM.  Enjoy!

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks, Jim. I apologise for you having to type all that, but it is a great explanation & you attempted to directly answer the OPs question too. :cool:

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

I only agree, Jim, in a very small way!  My number one pet peeve is for someone, newbie or oldie, asking a question and never coming back to reply or even say thank you for answers given.  It may be true for us "oldsters" to be a little shy at making our first posts, but in this day and age, I would doubt that there is any shyness in using a social media forum by the younger generation(s).

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool: