Sign in to follow this  
Guest beana51

Wilma now the most powerful Atlantic storm ever

"most powerful Atlantic storm ever" - in our VERY SHORT record keeping history.No doubt it's a very strong storm - but we've only been able to record pressures in these situations with the storm out over the ocean for 40-45 years.The news media loves to play up everything as the most dangerous, the biggest, the most important - but the world has only been keeping reliable records of weather since the late 19th century.Our records are too short to know what is normal or what is unusual.I saw an interesting article a while back about weather - that to most people the weather patterns during their youth - ages 6-16 - determine our perception of "normal".I was raised in the late 50's - early 60's - when three to five hurricanes a year struck the US gulf coast and Florida. To me, this year does not appear to be unusual. To my children, remembering only one or two storms every couple years, 2005 is apocalyptic.

Agreed completely. Our memory is VERY short. Aviation as we know it has only been here for 102 years.So...Bigger storms have probably occured in our 5 BILLION or so years...but Wilma does make for good "copy"! cheers,bt

Guest beana51

>"most powerful Atlantic storm ever" - in our VERY SHORT>record keeping history.>>No doubt it's a very strong storm - but we've only been able>to record pressures in these situations with the storm out>over the ocean for 40-45 years.>>The news media loves to play up everything as the most>dangerous, the biggest, the most important - but the world has>only been keeping reliable records of weather since the late>19th century.>>Our records are too short to know what is normal or what is>unusual.>>years, 2005 is apocalyptic. Hi,I agree with you.These things have been going on since.... And thats the way it is! Living in the North East for over 70yrs, you can get desensitized to the concept of living in a very dangerous place,like FLA..For us ,it was the Blizzard! The white out.Invariably the snow melts ,the Lakes thaw,some swollen streams,some floods,but at close to 2000'above sea level,no problem.. But all in all,the landscape stays relatively the same.Since getting retarded here on the Gulf coast,my views of survivel have changed. The first lesson for me was Charlie.Here in North Port,close to Port Charlotte.My kids live in Port Charlotte,Charlie came ,and went.Like some assassin it did its dirty work.Brand new homes demolished,lots of misery for all.. It has taken many thousands of people to put it back together again.. Now ,its Wilma,with the promise to be even more destructive than Charlie.Its amazing,the rubble of the last storm is removed,and increased construction goes on.Fastest growing place in Fla. My people originated on the slopes of MT. Vesuvius Italy.I visited that place numerous times. I ask the people there,How can you live next to an active volcano.? They often reply,How can you not live here?.They shrug their shoulders, and say,what will be will be.That simplistic answer has sustained them for more than 2000yrs.Me,I'm looking to bug out of here.Of course where can you go,not so easy to leave. So,the adventure is starting,food,drink,fuel,flash lights and all the things we take for granted become a quest. .For in a few hours ,ya can wind up in the stone age.What is the worst hurricane I remember?,why the one about to hit us,of course. Regards VIN

"My people originated on the slopes of MT. Vesuvius Italy.I visited that place numerous times."Interesting and O/T, but my family came from the area around Naples. I've vacationed and worked in Italy several times, but sadly never made it as far south as Naples. But I understand I have numerous distant cousins in the area and am always welcomed as "family" by anyone I meet in Italy--even more amazing since "Pasta" is my only Italian word. (Well, that and "whaddayadoin!") :)-John

Guest beana51

Well I tell you John,my brother and I are going there mid Nov..A sentimental journey of sorts. Your welcome to accompany us.Capri,Sorrento,and my fathers home town are some of my favorite places on earth. Like you, I don't talk the language fluently.My dad came here as a young boy.He never spoke anything but American. He was very proud of that. For some years now I have been tracing our heritage,and roots.Surprisingly it goes back a long way. Lost in the Roman times. I will say this however,when last there, an eerie feeling overcame me, like I was home! Ciao! VIN.. They say the "PIZZA" is great in Napoli,with a glass of local wine,with the Bay of Naples as a view,served by a pretty Local girl......at any age!WOW! !:-wave