I use an LG 27UD68 4K monitor for P3d, and it works well when I use one of my HDMI connections on the back of the monitor ( I have 2), but when I try the Display Port connection (using the DP connecting wire that came with the monitor), this happens:

Upon boot up, the Windows logo comes up, but then the monitor says - "No signal. Entering the Power Save mode shortly".  It then does that and I have to shut down, and reboot using the HDMI port.

Lately, too, upon startup, I'm getting a Gray screen with either vertical or horizontal bars.  After about 5 minutes, the monitor is back to normal with my desktop showing.

Something's happening, but what?  The 2 things are not related though.  The gray screen just started about 4 days ago, but the Display Port not working has been like that since I've owned the monitor.

Maybe Display port isn't as good as HDMI anyway when it comes to the best resolution for P3d.   

Just thought I'd ask you I.T. experts out there.

Stan

When the gray screen happens, if you press and hold this key combination: Shirft + Ctrl + <Windows logo> + B.... does it bring up the regular desktop?   If so it's something about Tablet mode in Windows 10. It happens to me sometimes and I can't figure out why.

ugcx_banner.png

As far as using DP, is there a setting in your monitor menu to explicitly set which port is used? I have an Asus monitor and in the menus it has an input selection setting that must be set to use either DP or HDMI.

Kind Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

1 hour ago, frantzy said:

When the gray screen happens, if you press and hold this key combination: Shirft + Ctrl + <Windows logo> + B.... does it bring up the regular desktop?   If so it's something about Tablet mode in Windows 10. It happens to me sometimes and I can't figure out why.

I will try this tomorrow morning.  The Gray bars only appear after a shutdown of about an hour or so.

Stan

25 minutes ago, somiller said:

As far as using DP, is there a setting in your monitor menu to explicitly set which port is used? I have an Asus monitor and in the menus it has an input selection setting that must be set to use either DP or HDMI.

Kind Regards,

Yes.  I have done this.  Still doesn't work from a cold shutdown.

Stan

Bad cable...although it would be hard to believe since it was provided with the monitor. Do you have more than one DP port, if so try the other one. Other than that I've exhausted my knowledge of what could cause it to not work.

Kind Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

44 minutes ago, somiller said:

Bad cable...although it would be hard to believe since it was provided with the monitor. Do you have more than one DP port, if so try the other one. Other than that I've exhausted my knowledge of what could cause it to not work.

Kind Regards,

1 DP port, and 2 HDMI ports.

I can get the DP to work by installing the cable when I'm up and running.  I can take out the HDMI and put in the DP and I can get a DP display.  So, the cable works.  It just does not want to work when booting up the computer.  That's when I get the Power Save message.

Stan

Stan,

In that case it sounds like the video card is changing state at reboot and not initializing the DP port...not sure what that means or why it would happen, but it surely sounds now like it's something to do with the video card.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

1 hour ago, somiller said:

Stan,

In that case it sounds like the video card is changing state at reboot and not initializing the DP port...not sure what that means or why it would happen, but it surely sounds now like it's something to do with the video card.

NVidia GTX 1080 ti.    Relatively new Jetline system.  I could call Jetline in the morning and see if they have any ideas.

Thanks.

Stan

On 11/17/2019 at 4:06 PM, frantzy said:

That didn't work this morning.  Jetline Systems wants me to start tomorrow by unplugging my router and my USB hub. Then try to boot up.   They feel something isn't loading.  If there are no grey bars after doing that, then I have to slowly find the culprit.  Could be my wireless connection or one of many USB devices connected to my hub.  I will let you know.

Stan

Edited by spilok

Fixed it!  Got a new monitor.  LG 27UL600.   Absolutely beautiful resolution.  Found out from LG that my 27UD68 was really a "commercial monitor".  I bought it through Amazon and it came from a 3rd party vendor.  So those of you who suspected cabling an connections to my computer were correct.  The computer and its components were NOT the problem.

I suspect that the cables and power brick were not right for my computer setup.  As Windows updated and my drivers continually updated, the monitor I had was not compatible with those non-commercial applications.

I feel my old monitor will do well in a a company with I.T. professionals who can experiment with it and get it to work in their environment.  I am donating it to a non-profit organization in my city.

Can't believe the clarity of the images in P3d with the LG 27UL600.  Amazing!

Stan

So if I understand this video correctly , at 4K you would have to maintain a minimum FPS of 40fps for this to work. Looks like the window was 40 - 60 FPS .