Sign in to follow this  
michal

Airbus Starter

Just back from 4 flights in all on Airbus 320 and 321. Glasgow to Barcelona, via Heathrow London. (23 aircraft I could see waiting in line to take off, at Heathrow and 20 mins circling Kent on return).The startled look on the faces of all passengers as Airbus port engine starts, is a joy to watch. Screaming cats in a fight is a fair desciption of starter motor.I assume all Airbuses share this trait?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Ronald,Modern airliners don't have a starter motor as such. High pressure air from the APU is used to start the engine rotation, when a certain N1 or N2 RMP is achieved, fuel is added and ignited etc... I have also noticed this noise when traveling as a pax on the airbus (A319) and my guess is that it comes from the valves in the air bleed system switching the APU air from the starboard to the port engine. I haven't heard this noise on the flight deck yet. If I get the chance I will try to ask one of our engineers what this sound is.Mazzl,Joost"Son, when you participate in sporting events, its not whether you win or loose, its how drunk you get."Homer Simpson

Don't know about a screaming cat but If it's the barking dog sound :-lolit's probably the hydraulic power transfer unit. I think it kicks in when there is a certain level of hyd pressure difference between hydraulic systems (i forget the colors now) - as would occur at startup, when one engine is running before the other.regards,Markhttp://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a319/markrey/lds1.jpgXPHomeSP2/FS9.1/3.2HT/1GIG/X700pro256

Joost,<>It was just me using a figure of apeech. I cannot imagine what size or output a starter motor would need to be!(loL)<> See? Pilots & Co. have no idea of trauma they are inflicting on poor passenegrs!(lol)I have just been on a cruise, and had a mmind boggling chat with engineering officer....each generator -= 11.5MKW and they have 6!!!Takes 2 miles to do an emergency stop, and teeth will rattle as they do!Its all relative...regards,Ronald

It might actually be cats and dogs you hear in one of the holds :-) Those poor animals 2.5+ hours in a cold and dark hold.....Mark, thanks for clearing that up. Your post made me remember somebody telling me it was the hydraulics system (Yellow and green btw, had to look that one up) <>That's right, I am happy to have the armored door ;-) We sometimes do get a clue, last week I actually made a few pax scream for the first time in my (short)career! We flew true the top of a nice and turbulent CB :-) (no way to avoid) Was a bit of a roller coaster ride (2 seconds)Mazzl,Joost"Son, when you participate in sporting events, its not whether you win or loose, its how drunk you get."Homer Simpson

Obviously no one in this thread knows what they are talking about.If modern jet aircraft don't have starter motors, then pray tell what in #### did I service last night on one of our A320s?I drained the oil, changed the o-rings, wirelocked the drain plug, refilled with oil. All in accordance with the relevant section in chapter 12 (Servicing). I could have sworn it was a starter motor.In addition last month what did I removed, and then reinstall a modified version of? I could have sworn that was a starter motor too.The air from the apu impinges on the vanes of the starter motor causing it to rotate. This rotation causes the N2 compressor to rotate. Once the engine is self-sustaining an automatic clutch on the drive shaft of the starter motor causes disengagement from the N2 compressor thereby avoiding a case of the engine driving the starter motor and causing damage.

Indeed!I recall an old Ford Anglia that made more noise starting!I for one, shall bow to your greater knowledge, and experience.Can you bump start it then?(g)Ronald