Sign in to follow this  
mozart

For laymen who know nothing about computers - is this a good PC?

I run P3D latest version, ORBX and addon sceneries, ActiveSky, PMDG/FSL and so on planes, and lots of AI. 

I don't have a clue about computers (I don't even know what a motherboard is) nor want to build a computer, I just want to buy something new and run my FS on it smoothly. Here is what I have found:

• ASUS GL12CX-CH011T
  • i7-9700, 3.6 GHz
  • 16GB RAM
  • NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2070, 8GB
  • 1x SSD 256GB
  • 1x HDD 1TB

Makes sense?

That will run it fine at 1080P (a traditional monitor size)

I'd recommend a 1 TB SSD if you can get it for cheap.  256 is pretty small nowadays

Just a heads up - being that you are buying a non K version of that CPU - and the motherboard is just "meh,"  you won't be able to easily overclock the CPU.  Still the stock speed and turbo will allow to run add-ons without much issue (again as long as you're only at 1080P and not using 4K monitor)

Edited by ryanbatcund

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The spec sheet on the ASUS GL12CX-CH011T computer says it uses a 9700K, not a 9700.

If (and it's a significant "if") the OEM CPU cooler is sufficiently robust to keep the 9700K cool enough to avoid throttling under an all-core workload, it should run all six cores at 4.6GHz in stock turbo boost mode.  In that case it should run P3Dv4 fairly well, on a monitor resolution up to around 2560x1440.  I wouldn't try 4K with the 2070. 

Agree on adding an SSD...I'd use the stock SSD for the OS, and a second one for FS, with the platter HDD for bulk storage.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thanks guys.

To be fair, I have no clue what "overclocking the CPU" is or "stock speed and turbo" (does that mean I need to buy something extra?) I have taken away that I should be careful with what monitor I buy.

Just generally, when shopping around for the best off-the-shelf PC to run P3Dv4, what is it that I should be looking for? A certain chip type/generation/speed? A certain minimum config for the graphics card? RAM? I really don't know how all those different things play together, I just want to pack a pretty well stuffed P3Dv4 setup on that PC and run it without having to worry about the computer not being to handle it.

I have also seen a Medion Erazer X87014, which has

• i9-9900K, up to 5 GHz
  • 16GB RAM
  • MSI® NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 Ti DUKE, 11GB
  • 1x SSD 512GB
  • 1x HDD 4TB

Would that be better, simply because it has more horsepower?

I have browsed the forums a bit, but most of the discussions seem to be about specific components for people who build/compose their own PC.

Thanks for your precious and valuable adivce! 

Edited by mozart

On 12/3/2019 at 9:56 AM, mozart said:

Thanks guys.

To be fair, I have no clue what "overclocking the CPU" is or "stock speed and turbo" (does that mean I need to buy something extra?)

You don't buy anything extra.  Once you get the system, a lot of people here can tell you how to run it in turbo mode, which you'll want to do as Bob mentions.  It's very easy to do.

I have taken away that I should be careful with what monitor I buy.

In my opinion, you'll want to buy a monitor that can run at a 30hz refresh rate.  I think this is important even if you're just going to run at 1080p or some other non-4K resolution, in achieving smooth, stutter-free flight.  It's definitely advised if you're going to run a 4K resolution.

Just generally, when shopping around for the best off-the-shelf PC to run P3Dv4, what is it that I should be looking for? A certain chip type/generation/speed? A certain minimum config for the graphics card? RAM? I really don't know how all those different things play together, I just want to pack a pretty well stuffed P3Dv4 setup on that PC and run it without having to worry about the computer not being to handle it.

I have also seen a Medion Erazer X87014, which has

• i9-9900K, up to 5 GHz
  • 16GB RAM
  • MSI® NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 Ti DUKE, 11GB
  • 1x SSD 512GB
  • 1x HDD 4TB

Would that be better, simply because it has more horsepower?

The cpu  and vidcard are much better in the above rig.

I don't like the storage setup though.  512 GB is not enough size for your OS and sim and addons.  You would end up having to install some of them on the HDD, and I wouldn't want to do that.   I'd go a minimum of 1TB on the SSD.  

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB