Sign in to follow this  
Pitter

No more fsx beacon,strobe and nav lights

Hi all, 

the title say´s it all.

All the relevant fx files are inside the effects folder.

Anyone have any idea while the lights are failing??

Peter

All aircraft...some aircraft?  Using cockpit panel switches or hitting the L key to urn them all on?

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Sorry not making it clear.

All aircraft which using FSX own nav, beacon, and strobe lights, regardless if a switch is using or "L" key.

Effect files are inside effect folder and the "light" section inside aircraft.cfg looks ok.

Peter

Just to make sure....FSX boxed version and not FSX-SE?  Do the lights work on addon aircraft that don't use the standard FSX default effects?

My thought is leaning towards corrupted effects files.  You might try gauges_recovery_fsx.zip in the file library to restore your effects.

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Good advice Charlie with this gauges recovery tool, but sadly no luck at all.

Startet recover with FSX, then SP1 and finally also Sp2. Did not work.

So, I checked the effects folder for another set of those lights.

For testing I renamed the "fx" files at the FSX King AIr with the beacon and strobes from ESDG, and both are working.

So far I can live with that, just rename the light entries.

Tks for your help.

Peter

The default nav lights  use a texture called fx_2.bmp which should be found in the texture directory underneath the  effects folder.

Its not uncommon for it to go missing - my guess is that there is an demo or trial addon that contains an improved fx_2.bmp and and that if  it is uninstalled it removes the improved version and doesn't restore the original.  In DX9 the lights will then not appear as the DX9 engine discards missing textures.

The other lights that you have replaced them with probably use a different texture which is still there and hence work.

(The missing fx_2.bmp  used to be  a nuisance for me as the  DX10 engine doesn't discard and so in DX10  they appear as transparent squares  and I would get support calls about the issue although it was nothing to do with me)

Edited by SteveFx
added more info