Sign in to follow this  
jozeff

airfoillabs or rep c172 to start my ga career?

Hi guys,

I have owned the airfoillabs c172 for three years now. It is a great airplane but I never really started to learn how to fly it. It used to be very hard on fps but that seems to be better now. I solely fly in Oculus rift s btw.

I'm tempted towards the simcoders rep version but I don't know if that plane is as good and different to spend 20 Euro on. I'm not really interested in the maintenance part of the sim. The flying/sound/looks of it are most important to me.

I find the lighting in the default c172 rather dim and I wonder if that is better in the rep version?

Is there a way to brighten the c172 panel lights a but more??

Thanks in advance!

Jozeff

Recently I retried the AFL c172 and upgraded to the latest version (1.77). I found it improved a lot (it has been tuned to be flown the the experimental flight model)and found it very enjoyable.

I don't own the REP, so I can only compare to the default, and at least for FPS, there is not much difference anymore.

I personally prefer the REP over AFL. I feel it sounds so much better, and I see quite a few places where the visual model isn't as well done as in the default/REP aircraft. I never liked the sounds in the AFL. And like you, my frame rate was not as good with the AFL. And with REP getting updates, it just keeps getting better. I think the best way to convince you one way or the other is to ask, do you like the default 172 enough to fly it? If so, you will enjoy it even more with REP. It really fine tunes the plane and makes the procedure more realistic. It will not change the visual model, except to add tie-downs, chocks, and inlet covers, plus the ability to tow your aircraft.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, monica6211 said:

I personally prefer the REP over AFL. I feel it sounds so much better, and I see quite a few places where the visual model isn't as well done as in the default/REP aircraft. I never liked the sounds in the AFL. And like you, my frame rate was not as good with the AFL. And with REP getting updates, it just keeps getting better. I think the best way to convince you one way or the other is to ask, do you like the default 172 enough to fly it? If so, you will enjoy it even more with REP. It really fine tunes the plane and makes the procedure more realistic. It will not change the visual model, except to add tie-downs, chocks, and inlet covers, plus the ability to tow your aircraft.

About updates, even if the AFL was created long time ago for XP10, we still receive free updates for XP11, even for the experimental model recently.

Just saying, not all developers are so generous. One should definitely try the latest from AFL: v1.77 again.

Both fly wrong in as far as propwash effects go...

Even tuned for the "experimental" fm, the AFL one still behaves weird when you have to compensate for prop effects. The REP is supposed to be used with the "standard" fm, and has the same problem, although in a different form...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulators: MSFS 2020... (😍 IT !!!), AND AeroflyFS4 - Great  FLIGHT SIMULATION !!!

Ok thanks guys,

Is there a way to brighten the instrument lights in the standard/rep c172? I find these very dim in my rift s headset. The airfoillabs plane has much brighter instrument backlights as does the just flight 152...

Thanks again!

Jozeff

10 hours ago, soaring_penguin said:

About updates, even if the AFL was created long time ago for XP10, we still receive free updates for XP11, even for the experimental model recently.

Just saying, not all developers are so generous. One should definitely try the latest from AFL: v1.77 again.

Yesterday I decided to give this plane another go (before you even posted this, how ironic). This time I flew it in VR. Wow! The update really makes a big difference in performance. It flew really well. And it even sounded better than I remember the previous version sounding. I actually fell in love with it all over again, I'm glad I pulled her out of the hanger to give her another chance. If you ask me now which one I'd recommend, I'd have a really hard time deciding which I feel is better. I'll have to think about it for a bit.😁

• Upvote 1