Sign in to follow this  
disco79stu

Erase "Glide" warning from PM?

I find this "Glide"-warning from the pilot monitoring a little annoying and unnecessary at times (it is triggered quite easily). Especially on the last 200ft AGL as I rely more on the outside view and aim for the t/d zone rather than following strictly the G/S, the "Glide"-warning gets triggered on 50% of my landings even with the slightest deviations.

Is there a way to get rid of this entirely? Or could you maybe consider having the PM shut up after passing through 500ft or so? 

Thx

Stu

Hi Bryan,

thanks for considering. 

While your technically correct, I don't fully agree with the 100% glideslope following until touchdown. :) 
As the ILS gets more "sensitive" as you get closer, the main focus should be on adjusting the outside picture and focussing on your aiming point, avoiding "chasing the needle". At 100ft the latest your eyes should be outside (at the end of the runway) anyway, not the PFD. 

I find the warning useful in general, but after the MDA it can be a little distracting. Plus some of the P3D ILS systems can be a little off sometimes... 

BR
Stu

I also would like to agree with Stu. A good example is the approach to LIRN via Ischia - Oleva - RWY06. The ILS-Beam is not alligned with the runway because of obstacles. It is not possible to follow the glideslope, but you will be warned "Glide" and "Loc". 

Kurt

Edited by ltu6800