Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Any FOLDERS safe to move?

I was curious whether there are any folders under P3d that can be moved to another drive....and still WORK?  My P3d folder (C), a SSD,  is about 300Gb and I would like to move any sizeable folders from my C drive to my X drive. My X drive is not a SSD drive but it has lots of room on it.  However, I don't want it to affect the sim in any way.  

I think I heard that you can move the ADDONS folder to another drive and P3d will still use it with no problem.  Is that true and are there any others?

Thanks.

Stan

All of my scenery addons are on a separate drive.  The exact method depends on if the addon uses the legacy scenery.cfg method or the recommended add-on.xml.  If you don't want to take the time to learn how to do this (I recommend you take the time) you can use the Lorby Addon Organizer to do the magic for you.

Using a HDD for scenery does not impact performance but it can result in slightly longer load times.

I don't recommend moving any default P3D folders, but you can move things like the downloaded installers you might have stored in the default windows download folders.  I keep all of my flight sim downloaded installers on a second drive and that saves me about 100 GB.

Dan Downs KCRP

1 minute ago, downscc said:

but you can move things like the downloaded installers

Do the same here too, thus saving drive space.

HI spilok i know what u mean i advise install p3d on a ssd & install all addons to another ssd as a normal hdd will take alot longer to load your airports/planes ect when p3d is loading as it's reading of a slow hdd Not a ssd what will read & write up to 10x or even more depends on the ssd 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2020 at 1:17 PM, downscc said:

All of my scenery addons are on a separate drive.  The exact method depends on if the addon uses the legacy scenery.cfg method or the recommended add-on.xml.  If you don't want to take the time to learn how to do this (I recommend you take the time) you can use the Lorby Addon Organizer to do the magic for you.

Using a HDD for scenery does not impact performance but it can result in slightly longer load times.

I don't recommend moving any default P3D folders, but you can move things like the downloaded installers you might have stored in the default windows download folders.  I keep all of my flight sim downloaded installers on a second drive and that saves me about 100 GB.

HDD's are a thing of the past. ALL scenery should be put on remote SSD's 

This will allow the program and scenery to load faster.

In some instances I even put the city scenery and airport scenery on separate SSD's

http://www.ruscool.co.nzBanner_MJC5.png05_10_2012_14_25_54_C-GLXV_New_Paint_Apr

P3D 4.5:), X-Plane 11.55:(, MSFS 2020:), MJC Q400, Saab 340A, CRJ550, B1900, X-Crafts ERJ/EMB; Win 10x64, 32GB Ram, Samsung drives, RTX 3070 GPU, 5.3 Ghz Intel 1200. Turboprops and RJ's only.