Sign in to follow this  
Terry O'Brien

Can I have Dual multi monitor Boards

Can I have two multi monitor boards (Cards) of different Model numbers to enable 6 monitors instead of just three.

I would like to mix a 1080 board with a 980ti board in the same computer. I thought I'd better ask first before

blowing up my boards <grin>. Suggestions would be very helpful. My power supply is 1000 watts.

It depends how you set it up, to crossfire/sli (connect them together) you need the same GPU i.e 2x 1070's (different manufactuers is fine, msi etc). If they are not running crossfired/sli'd then they cannot work together.

Be aware you can encounter driver issues running different cards, it is generally better to use similar cards, at least the same family, 950 & 960 etc, ideally the exact same cards

Example 1

You have a 1070 and 980ti

980ti runs your sim (and 4 screens)

1070 cannot help run your sim or be involved in the process (but can run another 4 screens)

8 screens, only 1 GPU running your sim (if you use a separate program to generate the other processes on your sim then you could use the second card)

You get extra screens

Example 2

You have 2x 980ti's (1 master and 1 slave)

They can both help run your sim (great)

Only the masters ports can be used to output to screens (you get 4 screens maximum)

You get a better frame rate

Yes.. I have this. Every time I buy a new video card, I throw away the oldest and keep the last two video cards and then keep adding monitors.. I currently have 4 monitors on 1 card and 2 more in another... I could still add 2 more

Manny

Edited by Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Has anyone tried a SLI/Crossfire in their sim?

I've heard in the past that it didn't work well or offer any real advantages, bit maybe that was regarding 32 bit FSX, and not 64 bit P3D/X-plane.

I'm also running a 1070, but have considered upgrading to a x080ti by the end of this year. If dual cards is a viable and better option, I'd be open to dual 1070s.

If anyone has any experience with dual cards, I'd be interested in learning more.