Sign in to follow this  
Rusty Gunz

Windows 10 issue

If Ian’s install doesn’t reveal anything the only solution I can see is a TeamViewer session.

Ken, if you’re agreeable please suggest a time given there is a six hour time difference between us. 10:00 - 16:00 UT would be best for me excluding tomorrow.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

OK RC4 is working.

Just had a bit of a problem with it wanting FSX and I couldn't remember how to fix it. Luckily I had a copy of FSX.exe so I copied that to my spare drive and that worked.

RC4 is now fully operational.

I think your problem MAY be related to FSUIPC, looking for FSX.

First time I tried, the program hung at that stage trying to install FSUIPC because it couldn't find FSX and it didn't like what I suggested.(No I wasn't being rude).

After I gave it a path to FSX, it loaded part way, then decided that I was talking rubbish and said I had to set up FSUIPC myself. But finished installing anyway.

It was hanging for a long time but I did not wait for a message.

So for my part, I think FSUIPC is your culprit, not RC4 itself.

Over to you Ray. We need to see Ken's file structure, I suggest.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

Thanks Ian. From memory I created a text file and renamed it FSX.EXE and placed it in my P3D folder. But as Rusty is using FSX Steam that shouldn't be necessary.

He needs to check the version of FSUIPC and ensure it's current. From memory RC4 tries to install the version that was current 11 years ago so obviously that is not good. It's in the MODULES folder.  Latest versions available here. https://forum.simflight.com/topic/80977-updated-modules/

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

If he installs FSUIPC (latest FSX version), then I cannot see any logical reason for RC4 not to work properly.

That was the only delay in my installation.

You are correct, the version supplied has whiskers down to the ground.

Edited by IanHarrison

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

Thanks for your interest and assistance, not to mention your time, Ian.

Will the Panado make me feel better?  Could it possibly be medicinal in nature?

Just asking.

Ken in Kansas

Rusty Gunz - been simming since the Apple II+ and Sublogic
"Any landing you can walk away from is a good one"
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming : i7-9700K auto OC: 32GB RAM : Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070S 8GB OC
CoolerMaster 750W PS : Fractal Design Focus G case-6 fans : 5 SSD's (3-1TB, 2-500GB) : Saitek X52 Pro H.O.T.A.S.
Logitech MFD and Radio Panel Vizio 40" 4K HDR monitor : Windows 11 Home 64 bit

OK, once again I was not observant (spank me, it's the only way I'll learn).  A lot went on while I was blissfully snoring away over (my) night.

I will check the version # of FSUIPC immediately and install the newest if it is not already there.

The "installation" log did not that I had "a later version" than what it was attempting to install, so it wasn't replaced.

Ray, I am available right now if it is convenient for you.  I have the latest version of TeamViewer installed and am standing by.

Ken in Kansas

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming : i7-9700K auto OC: 32GB RAM : Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070S 8GB OC
CoolerMaster 750W PS : Fractal Design Focus G case-6 fans : 5 SSD's (3-1TB, 2-500GB) : Saitek X52 Pro H.O.T.A.S.

Ken,

Okay by me. Do I need to connect to you or vice-versa? Can you send me in a PM your Partner ID?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Standing by ....

BTW just tried to update FSUIPC got a message that I had a "later" version, but guess we can sort all that out once we connect.

Edited by Rusty Gunz
Personal details

Just finished a TV session with Ken. Windows 10 has been installed over W7 which is never recommmended. The Windows Installer appears when RC4.exe is launched which shouldn't happen. I did some research and one site suggested it was because the latest version of msiexec.exe in System32 was not present. But Ken has the same version as me - 5.0.18362.1. So it isn't that.

Unless either Ken or Ian has any better ideas I would recommend a wipe and clean install of W10. In 10 years of running RC4 I've never seen that happen before so it's a rare event. Sorry this isn't better news but in the long term a clean install will be best for you.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Rusty Gunz said:

Thanks for your interest and assistance, not to mention your time, Ian.

Will the Panado make me feel better?  Could it possibly be medicinal in nature?

Just asking.

Ken in Kansas

Panado is the local Paracetamol.!!!

As an update and to close this topic:

Ray and I set up a couple of TeamViewer sessions during which he looked a multiple items on my PC.  Unfortunately, neither he nor I were able to glean much in those sessions.  Ray certainly made a Herculean effort, however!

We mutually agreed to do additional research and coordinate with one another.  It was getting late for Ray while I still had multiple hours of daylight available, so I jumped right in.

THUS - 

I started my sleuthing project by looking closely at the Installer window information.  It consistently mentions Voice Activated Commands.  I vaguely remembered some sort of experience with that as a software app.  Following a diligent search of the internet, I was able to track down a product called (wait for it) ....... Voice Activated Commands.  It is produced by a company called DWVAC.com (also the url for the company).  You can download the software thru that website.

So-o-o-o, thinking perhaps there was a link between the software and RC4 (why, I would have no clue), I downloaded and attempted to install the software.  No joy!  I got the same error message about needing a DVD - with ONE VERY HELPFUL addition.  When I clicked Cancel, I was presented with a Windows installer error code - 1612.  OK, this is new and exciting, says I, so back to the net.

Eventually found a link to a Microsoft-supplied Windows Fixit application (http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/E/9/7E9188C0-2511-4B01-8B4E-0A641EC2F600/MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta.diagcab) which dealt specifically with install/uninstall issues.  Ran it, told it I was having an install problem and, after a bit, I was shown a list of programs (rather lengthy) and was asked which one was the "problem child".  Lo and behold, Voice Activated Commands was on the list.  Selected it and waited while Fixit did its thing (something in the registry and more).  I was next asked if I wanted to uninstall VAC.  Within a nano-second, I clicked Yes.  Fixit completed and I tried RC4 - same error message, so I tried installing VAC again.  Success!

Fired up RC4 and was immediately presented with the registration/activation page - NO 30 MINUTE WAIT!!  Pasted ID into encrypter, then pasted resulting key into r/a page which then closed.  Started RC4 again - BINGO, BANGO, BONGO!  RC4 started normally - again NO 30 MINUTE WAIT!

I can now start RC4 from either the 😄 or G: drive, at will.

Many thanks and much appreciation to Ray & Ian for sticking with it and their efforts on my behalf!!

Ken in Kansas

Edited by Rusty Gunz
  • Like 1

Well done on figuring that one out Ken. You are definitely the first to have that problem.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just woken up and seen this.

I add my congratulations as well.

One more thing we can store in our memories for the future.