Sign in to follow this  
Rusty Gunz

Windows 10 issue

I recently (as did millions of others, I'm sure) upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 following the discontinuation of Microsoft's support for Windows 7.  As a part of that upgrade, I uninstalled, reinstalled RCV4 (several times now).  When I attempt to run it for activation, I get the Windows Installer window (as usual).  If I click OK, I get the message "The file “” is not a valid installation package for the product Voice Activated Commands.  Try to find the installation package ‘setup.msi’ in a folder from which you can install Voice Activated Commands."  If I click Cancel, the installer goes into an unending "loop" and never completes the activation process.

Have any others experienced this issue?  If so, just point me to the topic and I will use whatever recommendations/solutions are contained in those posts to, hopefully, resolve my issue.

In a related manner, I tried to download the RCV4 files, from the iCloud link (again, several times), for a fresh start and keep getting an error message that "iCloud has stopped responding."  Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks.

Ken in Kansas

Rusty Gunz - been simming since the Apple II+ and Sublogic
"Any landing you can walk away from is a good one"
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming : i7-9700K auto OC: 32GB RAM : Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070S 8GB OC
CoolerMaster 750W PS : Fractal Design Focus G case-6 fans : 5 SSD's (3-1TB, 2-500GB) : Saitek X52 Pro H.O.T.A.S.
Logitech MFD and Radio Panel Vizio 40" 4K HDR monitor : Windows 11 Home 64 bit

Ken, one of the big changes in W10 is the requirement to “Run as Administrator” for programs to run correctly. Right click the exe and choose that option and see if that fixes things. I have successfully installed RC4 in W10.

Not idea about the iCloud thing, sorry. Did you not save the files from an earlier download?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray,

Thanks for your response and for your great support on this forum.  I think we would be lost without you.  Your dedication is truly appreciated!

I have, as you suggested in some other posts I found, set RC4 to "Run as Administrator".  The issue I have still exists, however, although I do have an update re: this problem.

If I wait long enough (30 minutes or more, usually more), RC4 will eventually start.  I do get the message each time stating that it is "being installed" followed by an error message - "Install Server not responding.", but it does start.  Haven't used it yet in a flight.  That comes next.  I'll be back with the results of that soon.

Ken in Kansas

P.S.  Yes, I did save the installation and encrypter files.  In fact, I have several backups of each.  Can't be too safe, you know. 😉

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming : i7-9700K auto OC: 32GB RAM : Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070S 8GB OC
CoolerMaster 750W PS : Fractal Design Focus G case-6 fans : 5 SSD's (3-1TB, 2-500GB) : Saitek X52 Pro H.O.T.A.S.

Rusty,

Taking 30 mins to start is not right. Where have you installed it to? Program Files (x86)? if so, delete that and use C:\RC4. That's where I have mine.

After installing when you open RC4 for the first time it should present a display showing a Product Code. Copy that and then run the Activation program and paste the Product Code in the top display. Press the button to generate a Registration Key and copy / paste that where prompted.

It might help if you can show a screenshot of the situation to help me better understand your problem.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks, Ray.

I have RC4 installed in a folder on my G: drive where I keep all my FSX Steam "add ons".  I will uninstall it and try your method of installing it in C:\RC4 and report the results.

Rusty, is that G drive a removable one or a HDD/SSD inside the PC? If it's external that could explain the poor response.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray, the G: drive is an internal ("non-removable") SSD (1TB).

I uninstalled RC4 and re-installed it using your C:\RC4 "method".  Once installation was completed, I checked the directory.  Two directories had been created on 😄 - one called RC4, the other called RC4x.

RC4 has little in it beyond the uninstall app and some internet shortcuts.  RC4x contains all the executables, guides, data, scripts, tutorials, etc.

I created a shortcut from the rcv4.exe in RC4x.  I set it to run "as administrator" via the properties tab.  I then started RC4.  After about 30 minutes it displayed the window with the info for "activating/registering".  I generated the key and entered it.  After several minutes the window closed.  I then started RC4 again using the shortcut.  The usual "installation" window appeared and I clicked Cancel.  Thirty minutes later I got a message about an "install server error".  I clicked Cancel again and RC4 window appeared.  I closed RC4.

I started it again, clicked Cancel at the "installation" window, waited thirty minutes and RC4's window appeared.  I loaded a flight plan, started FS Steam, loaded a flight plan there, went to RC4 and clicked Start.  Back to FS Steam - everything is functioning correctly.  However, I would agree with you, 30 minutes is far too long to wait.

Any other ideas?

Ken in Kansas

Hi Ken. Did you install Windows 10 on top of Windows 7 or as a clean install? If over the top that can lead to problems.

I’ve searched for “Install Server not responding” and one reason could be a corrupt system file. Have a read of the suggestions here... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-install-server-not-responding/1ae9e022-f76b-4bf0-9cb4-3b4998664efe

30 mins is a ridiculous length of time for it to respond. Do you have an antivirus running? It might be causing a conflict.

What is your hardware? CPU, GPU etc.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

G'day, Ray (as they say in the land down under).  Here is the info you requested:

• W10 64-bit done as an upgrade.  A clean install would have been a nightmare for me to re-install all the software I have on my PC (the main reason I have a multitude of disk backups).
  • W10 Defender was running during installation.  I can try turning it off and doing the uninstall-reinstall again.
  • Hardware - Intel i5-4670K OCed @ 3.40GHz, MSI Z87-G45 Gaming MB, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB, multiple SSDs (C:, D:, E:, F: & G: w/most all FSX S/W installed on G:) 

With FS 2020 coming out in the (somewhat?) near future, I'll most likely upgrade to an i9 series, 32 GB RAM, new MB and GPU.  Looking forward to doing that if the corona virus doesn't destroy all my investment portfolio.

I'll check out the link you provided to see if it can supply any options.

Thanks.

Ken in Kansas

Hi Ken,

Your system spec is fine. It's this 30 min thing that I cannot fathom. You mentioned creating a shortcut to RC4 in RC4x. Shortcuts should reside on the Desktop really. But that isn't the issue here.

Run a System File Check. It will confirm if your critical system files have any problems. https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

If that comes back clean then make sure you do not enter your name in the field on the registration screen for RC4. Just copy the Product Key and paste it into the encryption utility.

Then press the button. A registration code will be generated. Paste that into the field in RC4. Sorry if that's obvious but I need to make sure you're doing it right.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray,

Just my 2 p worth.

I know it's obvious but can Ken confirm that there is enough space on his SSD with RC4 on it. If it is chock a block and there is no room for trim or over provisioning, that might be a cause?

Ian

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

@IanHarrison, that's a possibility. It's the 30 min thing that has me foxed.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@IanHarrison, that's a possibility. It's the 30 min thing that has me foxed.

Me too , I've never had that, ever.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

Ray & Ian,

SFC found nothing out of kilter.  Drive C: (SSD drive) has 745 GB free space.

My apologies, Ray, I didn't make myself clear (I do that sometimes).  I sent rcv4.exe to the desktop as a shortcut, I did not create the shortcut in RC4x.

So-o-o-o

Uninstalled.  Turned off Defender and Firewall. Re-installed. Created shortcut on desktop, gave it admin rights.  Double clicked to start.  Got the Windows installer, preparing to install.  Thirty minutes later got install server error message.  Clicked Cancel.  Registration window opened.  Copied product ID.  Ran encrypter & pasted product id into it.  Clicked Encrypt 4 button.  Copied generated key to registration window - no other entries in window.  After short wait (2-3 seconds), registration window closed.  Started RC4 from desktop shortcut again.  Windows installer window appeared (as usual).  Clicked Cancel.  Windows installer says Preparing to install.  Thirty minutes later got install server not responding error message.  Clicked Cancel.  RC4 starts.

Do I get the Headache of the Month award?

Ken in Kansas

Yes and a free pack of Panado.

I don't understand why you are seeing anything about Installing when it is installed already.

I am going to install a spare copy on an unused disk and see what gives.