Sign in to follow this  
IdoAviation

How well p3d v4 will run on this laptop?

Hello!

I want to buy a new computer to run P3D V4 on :)

Can You guys help me decide how well these specs will do in P3D V4?

Thanks!

20200324_000702.jpg

In general laptops are not good gaming platforms.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

52 minutes ago, IdoAviation said:

Can You guys help me decide how well these specs will do in P3D V4?

The graphics card should barely do the job in my opinion. You might prefer to have one with at least 8 GB of video memory. Look at the specs of my gaming laptop on my signature. It's an ASUS Strix Computer Upgrade King (CUK), available at Amazon. My P3Dv4.5(hf2) setup runs very smooth on that machine, as fluid as on my desktop sim computer. Another tip: don't look for MSI gaming laptops, they don't last more than two years in the best case scenario.

21 minutes ago, Jude Bradley said:

In general laptops are not good gaming platforms.

Not in my case. P3Dv4.5 runs on my laptop as smooth as on my desktop, with the big advantage that I can bring it everywhere, except during this quarantine 😂. In general I don't think your statement is correct, of course, depending on the gaming laptop you're talking about.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Although not my primary choice for flight sims, I don't have any issues running P3D on my laptop and it's by no means a flying machine (Lenovo ideapad 320 with an AMD A4 processor).

But as far as getting recommendations as to whether the particular laptop you (i.e. the OP) name in this thread, you're going to be hard-pressed to find anyone who'll offer a guarantee that it'll work well unless they have personal experience with that exact laptop. One of the problems in the near future is likely to be that whilst FSX, and to a similar although not exactly the same extent P3D, may run well on that laptop since both sims are still somewhat dependent on the CPU, when that new FS sim comes out, which will be utilising the GPU, then most laptops won't have a prayer of even firing the new sim up, much less running it, so a laptop purchase is not going to be very future proof if you envisage going for the new MS sim too.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

10 hours ago, edpatino said:

Not in my case. P3Dv4.5 runs on my laptop as smooth as on my desktop, with the big advantage that I can bring it everywhere, except during this quarantine 😂. In general I don't think your statement is correct, of course, depending on the gaming laptop you're talking about.

Cheers, Ed

That's why I said "In general", HP would probably not be my first choice, they are more for office use. 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

2 hours ago, Jude Bradley said:

HP would probably not be my first choice, they are more for office use. 

Would never pick HP either 😝

Cheers, Ed

• Like 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I've had a HP Pavilion laptop in the past (when vista was the current MS operating system, so quite some years ago), and whilst it was okay, it wasn't what you'd call robust, in fact I would say it was on the fragile actually. I lent it to my ex missus a few years ago and never bothered asking for it back, which gives you some idea of how much it bothered me to not have the thing lol.

I didn't buy it for running games and sims on, it was for work, but I did try FSX on it once out of curiosity and it ran that okay, however, it would certainly have been a less than ideal choice for running flight sims on regularly.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here