Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Does the GSX work correctly w/ the NGXu?

I own PMDG NGX & 777 both of which work well with GSX Level 1 and 2, they also work well w/ FSCaptain.  I won't buy it unless it does work with both of those so if anyone can chime in w/ a definitive answer I would great appreciate it.  I would love a better 737 but again, has to work w/ GSX and FSCaptain, the latter of which I'm going to guess it can be made to work fine with is.

Thanks in advance

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Thanks for that Rob.  I understand there will be a free upgrade to MSFS but outside of that incentive do you feel it was worth the price of admission as far as improvements go to visuals, flight modeling or other?  And, how does it compare performance-wise to the old NGX?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

51 minutes ago, Noel said:

Thanks for that Rob.  I understand there will be a free upgrade to MSFS but outside of that incentive do you feel it was worth the price of admission as far as improvements go to visuals, flight modeling or other?  And, how does it compare performance-wise to the old NGX?

I like it...it is a bit pricey for the additional value-added from the old NGX. 

The VC model was redone to give it correct dimensions for a 737 (especially the windows), the texturing and lighting is much better, the FMC now takes wind inputs, performance computer and chart display on the integrated EFB, etc.

Performance is a tad heavier than the NGX, but on a 9900K you shouldn't notice.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I couldn't resist w/ the credit towards the NG3.  Thanks!

Noel

Maybe you guys could help me with your best recommendation on this.  My first impression of the NGXu, loading up my very first flight using FSCaptain which I never fly w/o, was great!  GSX I & II worked great as you mentioned.   Loved the VC and some of the newer changes.  Then, you probably know what happened.  Off we went taxiing away to the apron only to discover I couldn't steer the thing.  Then it's off to the various threads about this surprise to the uninitiated.

Did you go to the Tiller and find an axis to assign to, or did you use rudder because you have rudder pedals?  I'm not interested in rudder pedals, never have been and never will.  Of course I use auto-rudder for all planes including all prior PMDG planes.  

How did you make peace w/ this change?  I'm not alone in this reaction as read several others who didn't find this pleasant.  I'm tempted to try to get a refund if they don't bother to restore what exists in all the planes I've ever used n FS9 forward, which is auto-rudder.  Even the Majestic Q400 gives you a work around for their rudder system.  I can certainly appreciate ADDING this functionality, but why remove what so many users are used to.  

Noel

Scratch that, reverse it, voila!

My keyboard sits atop a Saitek yoke housing. The right side of keyboard is retained by the edge of the throttle quadrant, and the left side is retained by, of all things previously deemed nearly useless and so retired into becoming a glorified paperweight/keyboard stop, a Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel.  If you haven't used this particular device it has a fabulous oil-dampened feel to turning it, plus a massive range.  I remembered this thing so decided to reconnect it (after about 6y of being a keyboard stop only!) and see if it could be assigned to the Axis Steering. Well, boy does it ever work well for this! I can keep my left thumb on it while taxiing, and control throttle w/ the right hand. I set the null setting to 1, and to max sensitivity and first time was very easy to control taxi now with this. 

Cheers

Noel

On 4/6/2020 at 8:30 AM, w6kd said:

Performance is a tad heavier than the NGX, but on a 9900K you shouldn't notice.

You know it's really crazy GPU-demanding, unlike anything else from PMDG in my hanger.  CPU's fine but the GTX Titan is really taxed by this thing to the point I have to dial back settings a whole bunch.

Noel

39 minutes ago, Noel said:

You know it's really crazy GPU-demanding, unlike anything else from PMDG in my hanger.  CPU's fine but the GTX Titan is really taxed by this thing to the point I have to dial back settings a whole bunch.

Make sure you have all the latest updates.  The original release had some issues with dynamic lighting on the flight deck hitting performance, but that was fixed early-on.  I'd suggest running the Ops Center and make sure there are no updates pending.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thank you and I had done that already.   Do you find any significant difference in GPU load between the PMDG 777 if you have it and the NGUx?  One thing I did notice was that while parked at a gate at KBUF pre dusk with with some light coming thru the side windows and to the VC the GPU just shot to 100% and that is with really low almost completely low Lighting sliders which is foreign to me in any other plane.  By the time I got away from the gate w/ and started taxi GPU went to 82% or so.

When I look at comparison between GTX Titan v something like 2080 Super, which is about 2/3 of what Ti does as least on Passmark, the Titan is about 50% of the processing power as the Super is and about 33% of what Ti does, so it's appears the GTX is dated.  I am trying to hold out for 3080Ti and who knows maybe nV will release desktop models in late August, but I guess a little doubtful on that.  All the other planes including PMDG 777 are much easier on the GPU. But it's alright even turning back sliders the NGXu is still a nice upgrade I feel to the original after solving the tiller control issue and will get a bit better with a new GPU.

Noel

NGXu is somewhat "heavier" on systems and will as a rule result in lower FPS. 777 is the oldest of the P3D PMDG aircraft. The coders are working on updates to the 777 at this time. As beta testers we are working on updates to the 747 QOTS II right now and GFO. You really can't compare the T7 to the NGXu as there is so much missing on the much older aircraft. Keep in mind that the NGXu is a completely new aircraft from the ground up and was not built on any pre-existing code.

Right now I have smooth flying on my system with the NGXu sure FPS drop in some areas like KLGA. But with the FPS counter off taxi approach/take off are smooth. 

• Like 1

Snowfalcon13 KRTS Reno, NV. The Valley of Speed/PMDG Beta Test Team

Windows 10 64 Pro/AMD Ryzen 3700X 8 core 3.5GHZ, ASUS ROG Strix B450-F, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M2 Cdrive, 1TB SSD D Drive, P3D V4.5/P3D V5 HF2

32 GB  DDR 3200 RAM/Radeon RX 5700XT 8GB

Thanks for that Snowman I just installed a new 'bridge' GPU and all's well.  For raw processing power the 2070 Super is right at 200% of the thruput of the old GTX Titan, plus another 2GB of VRAM so well be fine for quite a while, and price was fine at $499.

Noel

and price was fine at $499

Dude I want to party with you!

Snowfalcon13 KRTS Reno, NV. The Valley of Speed/PMDG Beta Test Team

Windows 10 64 Pro/AMD Ryzen 3700X 8 core 3.5GHZ, ASUS ROG Strix B450-F, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M2 Cdrive, 1TB SSD D Drive, P3D V4.5/P3D V5 HF2

32 GB  DDR 3200 RAM/Radeon RX 5700XT 8GB

On 4/6/2020 at 9:31 AM, Noel said:

I understand there will be a free upgrade to MSFS

This isn't correct. It was a credit of what you already paid towards the NG3. So if the NG3 would normally cost $129 and the NGXu cost $99, that means you only have to pay $30 if you already have the $99 credit. And I say if you have the credit because that offer was only valid until December 31st, 2019, so if you just bought it recently, this offer doesn't apply, and you would have to pay full price for both versions. You had to have purchased the NGXu by December 31st, 2019 in order to be eligible for the credit.

Edited by Captain Kevin

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

2 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

This isn't correct. It was a credit of what you already paid towards the NG3. So if the NG3 would normally cost $129 and the NGXu cost $99, that means you only have to pay $30 if you already have the $99 credit. And I say if you have the credit because that offer was only valid until December 31st, 2019, so if you just bought it recently, this offer doesn't apply, and you would have to pay full price for both versions. You had to have purchased the NGXu by December 31st, 2019 in order to be eligible for the credit.

Yes I learned that weeks ago and sadly I just wasn't aware of its release prior to shortly before I posted the comment you quoted.  I def would have picked it up before Dec 31 but I lost on that one.  I have purchased not less than 4 other planes from PMDG but alas that apparently did not weigh too much on their decision on incentivizing sales of the NGXu.  It does leave me slightly soured since I'm sure more than one other purchaser who bought it had previously purchased less than the four I bought.  I do like the NGXu for sure and am glad I bought it, but yes, a bit soured.

Noel