Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bottle

Multiplayer: only on Gamespy?

Guest tdragger

If you search thhe forum I think you'll find another post on FSHost plans for FSX.

Neither did I. I found six threads in this forum with the keywords FSHost + FSX and ten in all of the Avsim forums and no answers...

Thanks for the link. I have already been there and seen that Gilbert is madly doing his best to bridge the gap. I still think it was poor planning on Microsoft's part to create a program that cannot even interface with their own previous products.

Guest Ozark Dogfighter

I am curious as well, but here's another curiosity:I have dial-up (!) but not because I want it; it's because I have no choice here in the boonies ( I will NOT go satellite..way too much money for not anywhere near enough bandwidth). There's no cable and no DSL service here.I have flown on VATSIM with this connection, and while sometimes the other pilot's craft can do funny things on a connection that slow, it really didn't hurt me much.Will that be the case with FSX? Has anyone tested native FSX multiplayer over dial-up yet?Thanks!-Jeremy Burchhttp://home.earthlink.net/~dawgfighter/sit...es/swvasig1.gifSWVA4806 http://www.virtualswa.com/home.phpThe Ozark Dogfighter http://forums.avsim.net/images/wedge.gifCurrent system:Pentium 4 Cedar Mill 641 (3.40GHz), Abit AW8D, Gigabyte GeForce 7900GTX (512MB DDR3 PCI-Express x16),Corsair XMS2 Pro 2GB PC2 6400 (DDR2 800), 2 SeaGate Barracuda 250GB hard drives, Sound Blaster X-Fi PlatinumKlipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 speakers, NEC 20" CRT, Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback 2Please note: System specs are for reference in tech forums only and are not to be taken as meaning anything else.Doing so will result in eye-rolling, possible teeth grinding and perhaps mild internal chuckling.Happy Flying!

Guest Milton

Tdragger, I believe he meant FSX to FSX via an IP connection the way we have been doing it for 6-7 years now. :-) Hopefully that function still exists, or will through FSHost. Thanks for your interaction here.

>In FS2004 I used to fly in multyplayer mode on FSHOST>servers. In FSX it seems that I can only connect to Gamespy.>Or am I wrong? (I hope)>>Jozef K. >>I found the thread over at FSHost that addresses this topic.http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/forum/index.php?topic=546.0While I don't have FSX yet, this topic is of great interest with regards to the annual RTW (Round The World) Race between the three forums race teams.I have read a few threads regarding multiplayer here, but I don't plan to chime in fully until I buy FSX Deluxe and have the opportunity to see what we need to do for this years race.I'm sure it's on others minds as well across the three forums that participate, as a couple things I've read do not exactly excite me thus far. (Not being able to change planes without pausing, etc...)Relying on Gamespy as a server does not excite me in the least, as keeping the kiddies and trouble makers out of the MP will be a challenge if that session is listed on GameSpy Network, etc.... Stay tuned on this one I guess...Hope this helps,Joe

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Why was direct-ip connection removed from FSX? Just like those who prefer Neverwinter Nights to World of Warcraft, not everyone likes the first "M" in "MMO". I already miss being able to connect to a couple of friends within the sim to fly hops. I don't like having to do it by proxy through some "service". Having to even acknowledge that the travesty known as "gamespy" exists again kinda puts me off.Boggles.Otherwise, nice sim, love it. :)

Mike Johnson - Lotus Simulations

Guest tdragger

Yeah, that works, so I guess I'm still confused...

Guest tdragger

>Why was direct-ip connection removed from FSX? >>Just like those who prefer Neverwinter Nights to World of>Warcraft, not everyone likes the first "M" in "MMO". I already>miss being able to connect to a couple of friends within the>sim to fly hops. I don't like having to do it by proxy through>some "service". Having to even acknowledge that the travesty>known as "gamespy" exists again kinda puts me off.>>Boggles.>>Otherwise, nice sim, love it. :)Maybe you have a different version but right after I log in there's a big button labelled "Connect Directly" where I can enter an IP address. What am I missing?

I don't have any inside information Joe, but my personal plans are to stay with FS2004 for the race this year - if for the FPS if for nothing else.It would be best if FSHost were available for FSX - for this year.Many of us did not realize for quite a while that FSHost was not part of the MS package - but an addon.FSX Multiplayer will probably be for 2008, not 2007.

>>Why was direct-ip connection removed from FSX? >>Maybe you have a different version but right after I log in>there's a big button labelled "Connect Directly" where I can>enter an IP address. What am I missing?Mike, what you are "missing" is that many people don't actually "know" anything from first hand experience, but are simply repeating the same erroroneous information someone else wrote. :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator