Sign in to follow this  
regis9

Another P3D Concorde Announced - DC Designs

I wanted to know from my question who is currently the youngest pilot who has ever flown Concorde. I understand that this question might be difficult to answer without knowing all the crew members and their age.

I flew with Ian F. Smith. Very knowledgeable guy!

13 hours ago, Afterburner said:

I wanted to know from my question who is currently the youngest pilot who has ever flown Concorde. I understand that this question might be difficult to answer without knowing all the crew members and their age.

I flew with Ian F. Smith. Very knowledgeable guy!

Yes, he is one of the most experienced having been a training engineer officer from near the beginning.  Great sense of humour and he and I had a lot of fun on the sim. 

Is there a particular reason you need this info? 

I personally tend to pay more attention to those who were on the fleet the longest, as even though the training was excellent and all BA crews were highly professional, it was by all accounts an aircraft you got to know through experience.  The people that knew the most about Concorde all retired with her or indeed not long before she was grounded.  The way it worked out, there were a lot of relatively young pilots (FO and Captain) and engineers that joined the fleet on the second/third courses after a change of policy - brought about by a lot of senior pilots failing the conversion course.  It left the door open for younger pilots who if joining as captains, remained on the fleet till they retired, and if FO left to get command and usually returned as captains.   

I think you will find that by the end, most joining FO's were already quite senior purely because of the limited places on the fleet.  They had to remain on the fleet for a minimum 7 years if I remember correctly, so many FO's had to wait to get a place on the fleet and then realise that their transition to command might be delayed because of having to remain on the fleet - most didn't mind as they just wanted to fly Concorde.  It should also be noted that if FO's were very close to getting command it could also stop them being accepted for the fleet because they would be needed as captains elsewhere, but they could then bid onto the fleet as Captains later.  I think this is correct, I'm piecing together info from several sources here.

All very complicated, and as each pilots case was treated individually, it is almost impossible to answer your question. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Afterburner said:

I wanted to know from my question who is currently the youngest pilot who has ever flown Concorde...

Wasn't that the lady I mentioned in my post just prior to yours? Or was your question specifically related to BA crew? Just curious.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

1 hour ago, HighBypass said:

Wasn't that the lady I mentioned in my post just prior to yours? Or was your question specifically related to BA crew? Just curious.

Are you sure she was the youngest ever?  I don't know what year she qualified as I don't know anything about AF crews but that would make her 41 at the time of the grounding, and certainly in the early years at BA one of the Captains was only 32!  First officer around the same time was 28/29 years old so she would have had to have been flying her for over 10 years to have been the youngest ever...? 

I may be picking this up all wrong and it may be that you mean she is the youngest right now, but there might be a BA captain (now) still flying who would be around that age.  Not sure, no way to prove it. 

• Upvote 1