Sign in to follow this  
Morishita

Current GTX 1080 Ti Monitor Setup

Hey guys,

I've currently have three (3) Dell S2716 27" 2560x1440 monitors being run with a NVidia GTX 1080 Ti founders. It's a pretty decent setup but I do run into situations where the FPS drops into the 10 to 20 range on P3D. I was wondering if I'd be better off ditching the three Dell S2716 and going with a single 49" (LC49RG90SSNXZA) that would give close to the same immersion, albeit a little less real-estate, but maybe be easier on the 1080 ti only having to drive a single monitor? 

Thoughts?

On my 1080Ti, I went from 3 1280x1024 monitors to a single 3440*1440 curved widescreen (a few years ago now) and, while I didn't notice any major increase in performance, the ease of config and the lack of bezels made my experience much better, would recommend...

6 hours ago, Morishita said:

Hey guys,

I've currently have three (3) Dell S2716 27" 2560x1440 monitors being run with a NVidia GTX 1080 Ti founders. It's a pretty decent setup but I do run into situations where the FPS drops into the 10 to 20 range on P3D. I was wondering if I'd be better off ditching the three Dell S2716 and going with a single 49" (LC49RG90SSNXZA) that would give close to the same immersion, albeit a little less real-estate, but maybe be easier on the 1080 ti only having to drive a single monitor? 

Thoughts?

It’s all about the number of pixels the card has to process. 2560*1440 *3 = 11,059,200.

Thats 3 million more than my single UHD display plus the factor of running three displays.

A single display of 5180*2160 = 7,372,800 pixels. So fewer than a UHD display so performance should be much better.

But consider whether you want a 32:9 display as it’s very different.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

56 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

It’s all about the number of pixels the card has to process. 2560*1440 *3 = 11,059,200.

Thats 3 million more than my single UHD display plus the factor of running three displays.

A single display of 5180*2160 = 7,372,800 pixels. So fewer than a UHD display so performance should be much better.

But consider whether you want a 32:9 display as it’s very different.

Thanks for taking time to reply.

I went ahead a bought the Samsung knowing that I can send it back if I don't like the display format, etc.  It should be here in about a week and I'll report back my experience.

So the monitor arrived on Saturday. I removed my three (3) S2716 Dell 27" and replace them with the 49" Samsung. Within 5 minutes I had decided the 49" was going back to Samsung.

As Ray pointed out, the 32:9 is just not that pleasing. It looks great for flight, but I also run SolidWorks and the wide screen format just didn't suite me when doing useful work.

Nothing was done scientifically, but surprisingly, the performance increase was much less than expected. Using X Plane 11, I cranked up the graphics settings and took a flight over NYC before and after installing the 49". The FPS reported by X Plane with the original monitor setup was in the low teens and after installing the 49", the FPS went into the upper teens...maybe an 8 FPS increase overall. I don't fly with the settings at max and typically get 30-40 FPS with the three monitor setup anyway. Also, when I enabled G-Sync (I know the 49" supports FreeSync), the screen would flicker in X Plane 11.

To sum it up, I wasn't impressed with the 49" and certainly don't feel it's worth the extra money over my current setup. I think I'll wait and see if Nvidia releases their 3080 series later this year and spend the money on a faster card.

$.02

Edited by Morishita

@Morishita, thanks for the report. It is very subjective so it’s only your opinion that matters. The downside of these ultra wide displays is the height is sacrificed for width. But you still need height when moving around the virtual cockpit.

And we have to do normal Windows work with them too so such an extreme ratio will take some getting used to.

It sounds like you have the space so why not consider one large 16:9 display like a 43” TV? 4K of course so you increase the sharpness and have a larger display but crucially just one, so the fps remains high. Make sure you pick one that supports chroma 4:4:4 for the sharpest text. Not all do.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

good advice Ray.  My setup is exactly that.  16:9 43" TV that supports 4:4:4.  Very happy with the setup. 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next